* "selecting deleted buffer" and buffers with sent messages staying
@ 2011-07-01 18:01 lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-01 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

is it normal for buffers with sent messages to be left over after
sending the message?  Over time, more and more abandoned buffers
accumulate.

Sometimes I'm also getting a message "selecting deleted buffer" when
sending a message, and the message I just sent continues to be
displayed.  It's as if the buffer I was composing the message in is
supposed to be deleted but is not.

* Re: "selecting deleted buffer" and buffers with sent messages staying
@ 2011-07-05 22:31 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-05 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

> is it normal for buffers with sent messages to be left over after
> sending the message?  Over time, more and more abandoned buffers
> accumulate.

No, up to ten buffers accumulate.  See `message-max-buffers'.

> Sometimes I'm also getting a message "selecting deleted buffer" when
> sending a message, and the message I just sent continues to be
> displayed.  It's as if the buffer I was composing the message in is
> supposed to be deleted but is not.

(setq debug-on-error t)

and post the backtrace.

* Re: "selecting deleted buffer" and buffers with sent messages staying
@ 2011-07-07 15:12   ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-07 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>> is it normal for buffers with sent messages to be left over after
>> sending the message?  Over time, more and more abandoned buffers
>> accumulate.
>
> No, up to ten buffers accumulate.  See `message-max-buffers'.

Ah, thanks!  I've reduced it to three now.  Are there any advantages of
keeping so many buffers?

>> Sometimes I'm also getting a message "selecting deleted buffer" when
>> sending a message, and the message I just sent continues to be
>> displayed.  It's as if the buffer I was composing the message in is
>> supposed to be deleted but is not.
>
> (setq debug-on-error t)
>
> and post the backtrace.

It hasn't happened again yet.  I'll let you know when it does ...

* Re: "selecting deleted buffer" and buffers with sent messages staying
@ 2011-07-08 16:23   ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-08 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>>
>> Sometimes I'm also getting a message "selecting deleted buffer" when
>> sending a message, and the message I just sent continues to be
>> displayed.  It's as if the buffer I was composing the message in is
>> supposed to be deleted but is not.
>
> (setq debug-on-error t)
>
> and post the backtrace.

Here it is:

,----
`----

,---- [ ~/.gnus ]
| [...]
| (setq message-max-buffers 3)
| [...]
| (setq nnmail-expiry-target "sys.expired")
| [...]
`----

The debugger window showed up when I pressed C-c C-c to send the message
I had been writing.  I had to quit gnus and close the emacs frames to be
able to write a message again, though I didn't quit the emacs daemon
process.  Weird ...

BTW, since it may be related, I'm seeing drafts accumulating in the
drafts folder.  It's as if they aren't always deleted when the message
is sent.  I have a habit of automatically pressing C-x C-s somewhat
frequently I developed about 20 years ago when it was much more needed
than nowadays. Perhaps gnus doesn't like that very much? ;)

Hm, yes, the message I had been writing still has an (outdated) draft in
the drafts folder from saving it while writing it.

* Re: "selecting deleted buffer" and buffers with sent messages staying
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-19 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

> Ah, thanks!  I've reduced it to three now.  Are there any advantages of
> keeping so many buffers?

I don't see any disadvantages.

* Re: "selecting deleted buffer" and buffers with sent messages staying
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-19 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

> | Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Selecting deleted buffer")
> |   nnml-add-nov("sys.expired" 373 [nil "Re: alternative to kaffeine?"
> | "lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>" "Fri, 08 Jul 2011 17:55:27 +0200"
> | "<87ei20n4l1.fsf@totally-fudged-out-message-id>"
> | "<87vcvdq9mt.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de>
> | <pan.2011.07.08.14.10.41@gmail.com>" 1266 34 "yun.yagibdah.de
> | sys.expired:373" ((To . "debian-user@lists.debian.org"))])
> |   nnml-save-mail((("sys.expired" . 373)) "yun")
> |   nnml-request-accept-article("sys.expired" "yun" nil)
> |   gnus-request-accept-article("sys.expired" nil nil t)
> |   nnmail-expiry-target-group("sys.expired" "drafts")
> |   nnmh-request-expire-articles((24) "drafts" nil t)

[...]

> ,---- [ ~/.gnus ]
> | [...]
> | (setq message-max-buffers 3)
> | [...]
> | (setq nnmail-expiry-target "sys.expired")
> | [...]
> `----
>
> The debugger window showed up when I pressed C-c C-c to send the message
> I had been writing.  I had to quit gnus and close the emacs frames to be
> able to write a message again, though I didn't quit the emacs daemon
> process.  Weird ...

Gnus is bugging out when trying to save move the message from the drafts
group to your expiry target.  I've tried using a similar setting, but
I'm not able to reproduce the bug.

Can you try to see when it happens and what's different from the times
it doesn't happen?

* Re: "selecting deleted buffer" and buffers with sent messages staying
@ 2011-07-19 18:46       ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-19 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>> Ah, thanks!  I've reduced it to three now.  Are there any advantages of
>> keeping so many buffers?
>
> I don't see any disadvantages.

Since it's configurable, it doesn't matter, though it makes users
unaware of the feature think that something is broken, and it can be
confusing when switching back to a buffer to continue writing a message.
One could also think that when a message supposedly already sent still
shows up when switching buffers, that something went wrong with sending
the message.

* Re: "selecting deleted buffer" and buffers with sent messages staying
@ 2011-07-19 22:16       ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-19 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>> | Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Selecting deleted buffer")
>> |   nnml-add-nov("sys.expired" 373 [nil "Re: alternative to kaffeine?"
>> | "lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>" "Fri, 08 Jul 2011 17:55:27 +0200"
>> | "<87ei20n4l1.fsf@totally-fudged-out-message-id>"
>> | "<87vcvdq9mt.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de>
>> | <pan.2011.07.08.14.10.41@gmail.com>" 1266 34 "yun.yagibdah.de
>> | sys.expired:373" ((To . "debian-user@lists.debian.org"))])
>> |   nnml-save-mail((("sys.expired" . 373)) "yun")
>> |   nnml-request-accept-article("sys.expired" "yun" nil)
>> |   gnus-request-accept-article("sys.expired" nil nil t)
>> |   nnmail-expiry-target-group("sys.expired" "drafts")
>> |   nnmh-request-expire-articles((24) "drafts" nil t)
>
> [...]
>
> Gnus is bugging out when trying to save move the message from the drafts
> group to your expiry target.  I've tried using a similar setting, but
> I'm not able to reproduce the bug.
>
> Can you try to see when it happens and what's different from the times
> it doesn't happen?

The only thing that comes to mind is that it may have to do with
switching buffers and frequently saving a message I'm writing in between
with C-x C-s.  I've already tried to reproduce it without success, and
it hasn't happened again yet.  Perhaps it has gone away with more recent
versions of emacs ("bzr revno" says 105223).

Perhaps I can put some debugging statements into `nnml-open-nov' to find
out what the variables `group' and `buffer' are in case it happens again?

* Re: "selecting deleted buffer" and buffers with sent messages staying
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-19 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

> Perhaps I can put some debugging statements into `nnml-open-nov' to find
> out what the variables `group' and `buffer' are in case it happens again?

If it happens again and you get a backtrace, just eval `group' and
`buffer'.

That's the joy of using a languages where all variables are dynamic.
:-)

* Re: "selecting deleted buffer" and buffers with sent messages staying
@ 2011-07-19 22:37           ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-19 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>> Perhaps I can put some debugging statements into `nnml-open-nov' to find
>> out what the variables `group' and `buffer' are in case it happens again?
>
> If it happens again and you get a backtrace, just eval `group' and
> `buffer'.
>
> That's the joy of using a languages where all variables are dynamic.
> :-)

Ah, ok, I'll try that :)  I've just started to learn some elisp, and
it's still rather strange to me ...