* nnimap splitting examples?
@ 2010-12-05 16:57 Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2010-12-05 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Would anyone mind sharing the relevant portion of their .gnus for doing
nnimap splitting. I've tried to set up as follows but can't get it to
work.

First, via gmail (authentication is in .authinfo and is working fine). To
test that it works I'm simply looking for messages I've sent myself from
my non-work address, shown here as personal@gmail.com. Note that I
pre-created the gmail label "foobar", and I checked that it's visible in
Gnus as group nnimap+gmail:foobar.

;;; start of my stuff
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
	 (nnimap "gmail"
	 	(nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
	 	(nnimap-server-port 993)
		)
	 )
      )

;; Splitting
(setq nnimap-inbox "nnimap+gmail:INBOX")
(setq nnimap-split-methods
      '(("foobar" "^From:.*personal@gmail.com")
	("INBOX" "")))
;;; end of my stuff

So, that doesn't work. The emails in question just end up in INBOX. So,
working on the theory that maybe nimap splitting doesn't work on Gmail
at all, I tried the following on my own IMAP server, accessed via an ssh
tunnel. Again, the relevant folder and Groups arealready in place):

;;; start of my stuff
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
	 (nnimap "tunl"                 ;; Via a tunnel
	 	(nnimap-stream network) ;; Because the default now appears to be SSL?
	 	(nnimap-address "localhost")
	 	(nnimap-server-port 10143)
		)
	 )
      )

;; Splitting
(setq nnimap-inbox "nnimap+tunl:INBOX")
(setq nnimap-split-methods
      '(("INBOX.foobar" "^From:.*personal@gmail.com")
	("INBOX" "")))
;;; end my stuff

As before, doesn't work.

I've used splitting in the past, and used it a lot. But it was a long
time ago and was with nnmail and POP. So my lisp may be wrong. Or not.

Appreciate any samples that do work for you, or pointers to errors in
the above.

thanks,
Tommy

* Re: nnimap splitting examples?
@ 2010-12-05 17:03 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-05 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:

> ;;; start of my stuff
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '(
> 	 (nnimap "gmail"
> 	 	(nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
> 	 	(nnimap-server-port 993)
> 		)
> 	 )
>       )
>
> ;; Splitting
> (setq nnimap-inbox "nnimap+gmail:INBOX")
> (setq nnimap-split-methods
>       '(("foobar" "^From:.*personal@gmail.com")
> 	("INBOX" "")))

These are slots to the backend, so you should have:

@ 2010-12-05 17:25   ` Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2010-12-05 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> These are slots to the backend, so you should have:

Ah, excellent thanks. Just checking though, but to get it to work I had
to change your:

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "gmail"
>                  (nnimap-inbox "nnimap+gmail:INBOX")

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "gmail"
>                  (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")

Make sense?

Tommy

P.S.  You also answered my likely followup question which was to be, how
do I get different split methods for different servers.

* Re: nnimap splitting examples?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-05 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes: