* "Mailcap" parsing for Freedesktop .desktop files
@ 2005-07-07 21:49 Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2005-07-07 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I noticed on my Fedora Core 4 system that the mailcap files were never
updated with all the various Gnome applications.  Instead, they put
the information about what mime types they handle in .desktop
applications in /usr/share/applications.  Here's a first cut at
parsing these files.

Right now, I'm using

(desktop-entry-add-entries "/usr/share/applications")

to add mailcap-mime-data entries for everything in there.  I think
something like this should make its way into Gnus, so I'm interested
in how people think I should integrate it.  I also think that the
Freedesktop .keys and .mime files should also be parsed for their
mime-type info, but I haven't had a need for that yet.

An alternative would be to create a mailcap from these files, but
mailcap seems to be an endangered species.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
Every human heart is human. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

[-- Attachment #2: desktop-entry.el --]

* Re: "Mailcap" parsing for Freedesktop .desktop files
@ 2006-04-14 10:09 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-04-14 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> I noticed on my Fedora Core 4 system that the mailcap files were never
> updated with all the various Gnome applications.  Instead, they put
> the information about what mime types they handle in .desktop
> applications in /usr/share/applications.  Here's a first cut at
> parsing these files.

If this is going to be the standard way to handle MIME types, then
Gnus should include this.  I haven't really seen much talk about this
issue...