Answering my own email :) "njsf" == Nelson Ferreira writes: njsf> Hi all, I did some searching on the info for Gnus and the njsf> reference about mode lines that I found only spoke about njsf> chopping Gnus contribution to it by setting njsf> gnus-mode-non-string-length. Ok, so in addition to this I found the following: ;------------------- ; gnus-article-mode-line-format ; User Option: *The format specification for the article mode line. ; gnus-category-mode-line-format ; Variable: The format specification for the category mode line. ; gnus-group-mode-line-format ; User Option: *The format specification for the group mode line. ; gnus-server-mode-line-format ; User Option: The format specification for the server mode line. ; gnus-summary-mode-line-format ; User Option: *The format specification for the summary mode line. ;------------------- [...] I am also attaching a patch to allow customizing of all Gnus related major and minor modes for any interested. Best regards, Nelson