* nnml has become nnmbox???!!
@ 2003-05-13 15:19 Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2003-05-13 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm completely flabbergasted.  This morning my mail is now being
retrieved from my pop server by the nnmbox backend rather than my
ages-old nnml backend.

Here's a bit from Messages:

nnmbox: Reading incoming mail from pop...
Retrieving message 1 of 2 from imap.wolfram.com...
Retrieving message 2 of 2 from imap.wolfram.com...
Saving file /billw/Mail-2003/mbox...
Wrote /billw/Mail-2003/mbox
nnmbox: Reading incoming mail (2 new)...done

(imap.wolfram.com is being used as a pop server)

I know nothing about nnmbox, so I'm also surprised to see new nnmbox
groups!  They have the same names as my nnml groups, except that
their names are prefaced by "nnmbox:" instead of "nnml:".

What on earth is going on here?!  I haven't knowingly changed anything
in the last few days.  I haven't updated from cvs since Saturday
evening, and I'm using a cvs emacs from Dec 01 2002.

Deeply puzzled and rather frightened,

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: nnml has become nnmbox???!!
@ 2003-05-13 16:54 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-13 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> What on earth is going on here?!  I haven't knowingly changed anything
> in the last few days.  I haven't updated from cvs since Saturday
> evening, and I'm using a cvs emacs from Dec 01 2002.

Weird.  What does the server buffer say?  What's the value of
gnus-secondary-select-methods, and of gnus-select-method?

Can you remove the superfluous nnmbox server via the server buffer?

--
This line is not blank.

* Re: nnml has become nnmbox???!!
@ 2003-05-13 18:15 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-05-13 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> I'm completely flabbergasted.  This morning my mail is now being
> retrieved from my pop server by the nnmbox backend rather than my
> ages-old nnml backend.

Wow.

Well, something (or someone) must have done something to add an
nnmbox server to your setup.  Look in the server buffer, or the
.newsrc.eld file and see whether anything there looks suspicious.

* Re: nnml has become nnmbox???!!
@ 2003-05-13 23:38   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2003-05-13 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue May 13 2003 at 13:15, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> said:

> Well, something (or someone) must have done something to add an
> nnmbox server to your setup.  Look in the server buffer, or the
> .newsrc.eld file and see whether anything there looks suspicious.

. o O ( Oh man, they're never going to believe me... )

This beats the hell out of me.  I started gnus this afternoon and nnml
is back in action.  I'd like to blame it on what I've been smoking,
but I've only been smoking Marlboro Lights.  I dunno.

During the weirdness this morning I checked
gnus-secondary-select-methods and it was what it is now, which made no
sense at all - there was no mention of nnmbox:

,----[ C-h v gnus-secondary-select-methods RET ]
| gnus-secondary-select-methods's value is
| ((nnml "")
|  (nntp "news.gmane.org")
|  (nntp "selenium.club.cc.cmu.edu"))
`----

I didn't happen to check gnus-select-method then; now it's

,----[ C-h v gnus-select-method RET ]
| gnus-select-method's value is (nntp "news")
`----

There was and is an nnmbox server in the Server buffer - I had to
enter it to subscribe all the new nnmbox "groups".  I also didn't
check .newsrc.eld; now its only instances of nnmbox are the existing
groups from this morning.

During the strange session this morning, could I have somehow
temporarily enabled nnmbox?  No, wait - when I loaded gnus this
morning my first download of mail from the pop server was handled by
nnmbox (and 103 messages seemingly disappeared), so maybe I stumbled
into some switch or lever in the previous session. (?)

Anyway, thanks for thinking about it -

bw
--

@ 2003-05-14 18:25     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-14 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> There was and is an nnmbox server in the Server buffer - I had to
> enter it to subscribe all the new nnmbox "groups".  I also didn't
> check .newsrc.eld; now its only instances of nnmbox are the existing
> groups from this morning.

Well, if Gnus finds a group from server foo, then it will
conveniently add this server to the server buffer.  And you can't
delete the server unless you also kill that group.

So try killing all nnmbox groups then try to remove the server.

And have a hard look at your nnmbox groups before that to uncover old
mail.
--
This line is not blank.