* problem with gnus-no-server
@ 2002-08-06 16:22 Mark Thomas
From: Mark Thomas @ 2002-08-06 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

This morning, I added news.gmane.org to my
gnus-secondary-select-methods, so that I have:

  (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml "")
        gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nntp "news.bellatlantic.net")
                                        (nntp "news.gmane.org")
                                        (nntp "cmu"
                                              (nntp-address "localhost")
                                              (nntp-port-number 10119))))

That worked fine, and I was able to add and read groups.  These new
gmane groups I put on level 4.

I quit gnus.  I can restart gnus with
  M-x gnus
just fine.

However when I try to start gnus-no-server with
  M-x gnus-no-server

I get an error.  The backtrace is:
    Signaling: (error "Trying to require a method that doesn't exist")
      signal(error ("Trying to require a method that doesn't exist"))
      cerror("Trying to require a method that doesn't exist")
      apply(cerror "Trying to require a method that doesn't exist")
      error("Trying to require a method that doesn't exist")
      gnus-server-opened((nil ""))
      gnus-activate-group("maillist.debian.laptop" scan)
      gnus-get-unread-articles(2)
      gnus-setup-news(nil 2 t)
      byte-code("..." [dont-connect did-connect gnus-group-quit gnus-run-hooks gnus-startup-hook gnus-make-newsrc-file gnus-startup-file gnus-current-startup-file gnus-slave gnus-use-dribble-file gnus-dribble-read-file gnus-use-grouplens bbb-login add-hook gnus-summary-mode-hook gnus-grouplens-mode gnus-setup-news nil level gnus-setup-news-hook gnus-start-draft-setup gnus-group-list-groups gnus-group-first-unread-group gnus-configure-windows group gnus-group-set-mode-line gnus-started-hook] 4)
      gnus-1(2 t nil)
      gnus(2 t nil)
      gnus-no-server-1(nil nil)
      gnus-no-server(nil)
      call-interactively(gnus-no-server)
      command-execute(gnus-no-server t)
      execute-extended-command(nil)
      call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

If I look in ~/.newsrc.eld, I see that the maillist.debian.laptop
group is the first nnml group:

(setq gnus-newsrc-alist
       '(("nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.linux.debian.user.security.announce" 4
	  ((1 . 22))
	  ((seen
	    (1 . 22)))
	  (nntp "news.gmane.org"))
	 ("nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.xemacs.announce" 4
	  ((1 . 5))
	  ((seen
	    (1 . 5)))
	  (nntp "news.gmane.org"))
	 ("maillist.debian.laptop" 2
	  ((1 . 6080))
	  ((dormant
	    (1 . 3)
	    (4376 . 4379))
	   (expire 3364 3374
		   (3761 . 3762)
		   (3765 . 3766)
		   3911 4473
		   (5189 . 5190)
		   5280 5283 5437 5474 5587 5589 5657 5713
		   (5723 . 5724)
		   (5728 . 5729)
		   5942 6001 6012)
	   (reply 1 4377 4381)
	   (tick 230 754 1380
		 (2093 . 2094)
		 3735 4014 4781
		 (4787 . 4788)
		 5467 5529 5968)
	   (seen
	    (1 . 6080))
	   (cache 1380))
	  "nnml:"
	  ((total-expire . t)
	   (expiry-wait . 28)
	   (to-list . "debian-laptop@lists.debian.org")
	   (subscribed . t)))
	 ("maillist.debian.security-announce" 2
	  ((1 . 113))
	  ((dormant
	    (1 . 3)
	    (83 . 86))
	   (expire 25)
	   (reply 1 84)
	   (seen
	    (1 . 3)
	    (65 . 113)))
	  "nnml:"
	  ((total-expire . t)
	   (expiry-wait . 28)
	   (subscribed . t)))

The ~/.newsrc.eld file originally had
  "nntp:news.gmane.org"

Once I encountered this bug, I change that to
  (nntp "news.gmane.org")
in order to match the entries I have for
  (nntp "news.bellatlantic.net")
and
  (nntp "cmu")

That didn't do anything to fix the problem.

What's up, and how do I debug it?

Thanks,

-Mark

* Re: problem with gnus-no-server
@ 2002-08-06 16:54 ` Mark Thomas
From: Mark Thomas @ 2002-08-06 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've managed to work around the problem.

The maillist.debian.laptop entry in my ~/.newsrc.eld was:

> 	 ("maillist.debian.laptop" 2
> 	  ((1 . 6080))
> 	  ((dormant
> 	    (1 . 3)
> 	    (4376 . 4379))
> 	   (expire 3364 3374
> 		   (3761 . 3762)
> 		   (3765 . 3766)
> 		   3911 4473
> 		   (5189 . 5190)
> 		   5280 5283 5437 5474 5587 5589 5657 5713
> 		   (5723 . 5724)
> 		   (5728 . 5729)
> 		   5942 6001 6012)
> 	   (reply 1 4377 4381)
> 	   (tick 230 754 1380
> 		 (2093 . 2094)
> 		 3735 4014 4781
> 		 (4787 . 4788)
> 		 5467 5529 5968)
> 	   (seen
> 	    (1 . 6080))
> 	   (cache 1380))
> 	  "nnml:"
> 	  ((total-expire . t)
> 	   (expiry-wait . 28)
> 	   (to-list . "debian-laptop@lists.debian.org")
> 	   (subscribed . t)))

When I changed the
  "nnml:"
back to
  (nnml "")
I was able to use gnus-no-server.

It appears that all the new method-backend pairs are being written as
  "method:backend"
instead of
  (method "backend")

I supposed this is the New And Improved way?  What should my nnml
entries look like?  What about nndir entries, which currently look
like
  (nndir "e:/mthomas/mail/CMU/" (nndir-directory "e:/mthomas/mail/CMU"))

Cheers,

@ 2002-08-06 18:32   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-08-06 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Mark Thomas <swoon@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
> When I changed the
>   "nnml:"
> back to
>   (nnml "")
> I was able to use gnus-no-server.

I guess that's a bug.

> It appears that all the new method-backend pairs are being written as
>   "method:backend"
> instead of
>   (method "backend")

Actually, the first part is the backend, and the second part is the
"server address".

> I supposed this is the New And Improved way?  What should my nnml
> entries look like?  What about nndir entries, which currently look
> like
>   (nndir "e:/mthomas/mail/CMU/" (nndir-directory "e:/mthomas/mail/CMU"))

If this select method already appears in gnus-secondary-select-methods
or was defined in the *Server* buffer as a foreign server, then
"nndir:e:/mthomas/mail/CMU/" should work.  The point is that only the
identifying information is copied into all the references to the
server; the attributes of the server that you might want to change
from time to time are stored in only one place, so you don't have to
worry about keeping multiple copies in sync.

paul