From: prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc)
Subject: Re: maildir - whats the skinny?
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 12:56:56 -0500	[thread overview]

"Matt Armstrong" <matt+dated+1007833240.e38fe2@lickey.com> wrote:
> Cool, so why isn't nnmaildir in CVS?  ;-)

I've done the FSF paperwork, but Lars hasn't yet responded to my
request for CVS write access.  No one who already has write access has
added it yet either, which may be just as well - before it's added,
I'd like to move the proof-of-concept features into Gnus or get rid of
them if they're not worthwhile.

(A note on the following syntax: for extra dynamism, nnmaildir's group
parameter values are Lisp forms which get evaluated when they are
used.  But since a group parameter value can't be a list, we wrap them
in a vector.)  nnmaildir looks at these two group parameters (taken
from my documentation on the web):

always-marks: a list of mark symbols, such as ['(read expire)].
Whenever Gnus asks nnmaildir for message marks, nnmaildir will say
that all messages have these marks, regardless of whether the marks
stored in the filesystem say so.

never-marks: a list of mark symbols, such as ['(tick expire)].
Whenever Gnus asks nnmaildir for message marks, nnmaildir will say
that no messages have these marks, regardless of whether the marks
stored in the filesystem say so.  never-marks overrides always-marks.

Are these worthwhile?  I've never needed them; I just liked the idea.
If they are desirable, they ought to be added to Gnus proper in some
way, so all backends(' users) can use them.  If not, I'll remove them
from nnmaildir.  I can imagine that always-marks as ['(read)] might be
useful for archive-only groups.

paul