From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Removing a group
Date: 02 Dec 1999 16:12:21 -0800	[thread overview]

Lee Willis <lee@gbdirect.co.uk> writes:

> Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
>
> > What's the "right" way to remove a group? I've had some difficulty
> > in the past and I'm reluctant to go editing .newsrc.eld files :-)
> >
> > I did a bunch of work to get a mail archiving scheme in place
> > and there are some "leftover" nnml: and nnfolder: groups from my
> > testing lying around that I'd like to completely eradicate.
>
> C-u G DEL in the Group buffershould do the trick as far as I'm
> aware. I've certainly used it in the past ...

There is a case where above doesn't work.  That is, when the nnml group in
group buffer does not exist in ~/Mail.  This can happen if you've
deleted groups by hand or inadvertantly.  In this case C-u G del will
just give a message  to the effect that the group doesn't exist, and
the group listing will remain in group buffer forever (I think).

A group in that category can be "killed" and will disappear ( C-k ).