* article editing oddity
@ 1999-11-12  8:39 Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 1999-11-12  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

i've got a message which was in windows-1251 encoding, but
Content-Type header said that it was in koi8-r, so the message was
unreadable.

I pressed C-u g e, and changed "charset=koi8-r" to
"charset=windows-1251" in the Content-Type header.

Then i pressed C-c C-c

But the saved article still contained "charset=koi8-r" !

What's going wrong? AFAIR, this worked with older gnus versions.

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.

P.S. windows-1251 is defined in my .emacs file by

(codepage-setup 1251)
(define-coding-system-alias 'windows-1251 'cp1251)

* Re: article editing oddity
@ 1999-11-15 20:51 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-15 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:

> i've got a message which was in windows-1251 encoding, but
> Content-Type header said that it was in koi8-r, so the message was
> unreadable.
>
> I pressed C-u g e, and changed "charset=koi8-r" to
> "charset=windows-1251" in the Content-Type header.
>
> Then i pressed C-c C-c
>
> But the saved article still contained "charset=koi8-r" !

Uhm.  `C-c C-c' after editing the message will create brand new
Content-Type headers.  And since Gnus thought that the text was
koi8-r, Gnus put that in the new header.

*sigh*

Anyway, `C-u W M c' will let you re-interpret the message using a
different charset.

* Re: article editing oddity
@ 1999-11-15 21:23   ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-11-15 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:
>> i've got a message which was in windows-1251 encoding, but
>> Content-Type header said that it was in koi8-r, so the message was
>> unreadable.
>>
>> I pressed C-u g e, and changed "charset=koi8-r" to
>> "charset=windows-1251" in the Content-Type header.
>>
>> Then i pressed C-c C-c
>>
>> But the saved article still contained "charset=koi8-r" !

LMI> Uhm.  `C-c C-c' after editing the message will create brand new
LMI> Content-Type headers.  And since Gnus thought that the text was
LMI> koi8-r, Gnus put that in the new header.

How about not rebuilding headers if the article is shown by `C-u g'?

Or not reuilding headers when check in by `C-u C-c C-c'?

LMI> *sigh*

LMI> Anyway, `C-u W M c' will let you re-interpret the message using a
LMI> different charset.

[...]

I don't think this works, unless press `C-u g C-u W M c', since it
washes an article in the article buffer, where characters have been
decoded by (wrong) charset, then the result is double-decoded,
i.e. `\201's shows.

Even `C-u g C-u W M c' does not decode subject and other headers.

*sigh*

My unofficial solution is advicing gnus-summary-show-article. When
number argument comes, pick a charset from predefined charsets or
minibuffer, set gnus-newsgroup-charset and
gnus-newsgroup-ignored-charsets, then ad-do-it.

If this solution is acceptable, I can patch the
gnus-summary-show-article, and maybe a little work let gnus ignored
all charsets.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: article editing oddity
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-01 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> I don't think this works, unless press `C-u g C-u W M c', since it
> washes an article in the article buffer, where characters have been
> decoded by (wrong) charset, then the result is double-decoded,
> i.e. `\201's shows.
>
> Even `C-u g C-u W M c' does not decode subject and other headers.
>
> *sigh*
>
> My unofficial solution is advicing gnus-summary-show-article. When
> number argument comes, pick a charset from predefined charsets or
> minibuffer, set gnus-newsgroup-charset and
> gnus-newsgroup-ignored-charsets, then ad-do-it.
>
> If this solution is acceptable, I can patch the
> gnus-summary-show-article, and maybe a little work let gnus ignored
> all charsets.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea.

* FAQ: show an article with a specified charset (was: Re: article editing oddity)
@ 1999-12-01 18:30       ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-12-01 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Q: How to show an article with a specified charset?

A: Suppose you want to show an article with charset cn-gb-2312. Use
   `C-u 0 g cn-gb-2312' in the summary buffer.

   You can also use `C-u 1 g' if
    (setq gnus-summary-show-article-charset-alist
            '((1 . cn-gb-2312)
              (2 . big5)))

(Only applied to Gnus 5.8 or greater version)

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: FAQ: show an article with a specified charset (was: Re: article editing oddity)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-01 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Q: How to show an article with a specified charset?
>
> A: Suppose you want to show an article with charset cn-gb-2312. Use
>    `C-u 0 g cn-gb-2312' in the summary buffer.
>
>    You can also use `C-u 1 g' if
>     (setq gnus-summary-show-article-charset-alist
>             '((1 . cn-gb-2312)
>               (2 . big5)))

I've added this info to the manual.