* Creating a custom article treatment funtion?
@ 1999-10-18  3:29 Emerick Rogul
       [not found] ` <wtnpuych5o6.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
From: Emerick Rogul @ 1999-10-18  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'd like to make my own custom article treatment (like, say,
gnus-treat-hide-signature).  I can deal with writing the function, but
I'm not sure I know all of the places where it needs to be hooked into
pgnus.  Could someone tell me exactly how I hook my function into
pgnus (e.g. which hooks I might need to update and/or auxilliary
functions I might need to create).  An example of one someone else has
created would be great.  Thanks!

-Emerick
"this is now, this is here, this is me, this is what i wanted you to see,
 that was then, was that, that is gone, that is what i wanted you to feel"
--- Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> --------- 'so fast, so numb', r.e.m.

* Re: Creating a custom article treatment funtion?
       [not found] ` <wtnpuych5o6.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
@ 1999-10-18 19:06   ` Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 1999-10-18 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud writes:

: Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:
:: I'd like to make my own custom article treatment (like, say,
:: gnus-treat-hide-signature).

: I would also like to see some sort of generic interface for article
: treating. On two mailingslists I am on, which are provided by
: egroups and onelist, I get commercials at the end of the
: article. These aren't .sigs (no "-- " but a long line of dashes) so
: I can't hide them. The ideal in this case would be to cut it out
: from the article in the first place like
: nnmail-list-identifiers. Anyone written such a function?

Heh, that's funny.  The article treatment routine I want to write is
one that will remove the Onelist ads :)  Quite annoying, aren't they?

@ 1999-10-18 22:10   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-10-18 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> These aren't .sigs (no "-- " but a long line of dashes) so I can't
> hide them.

Why can't you hide them?  There is a variable
message-signature-separator as well as a variable
gnus-signature-separator.  Surely frobbing one of these will help?

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Banner removal (was: Creating a custom article treatment funtion?)
@ 1999-10-19  9:36     ` Toby Speight
       [not found]       ` <wtnn1tf5jco.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
From: Toby Speight @ 1999-10-19  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas> Jonas Steverud <URL:mailto:d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se>
Emerick> Emerick Rogul <URL:mailto:emerick@cs.bu.edu>

0> In article <wtnpuych5o6.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>, Jonas wrote:

Jonas> On two mailinglists I am on, which are provided by egroups and
Jonas> onelist, I get commercials at the end of the article.  These
Jonas> aren't .sigs (no "-- " but a long line of dashes) so I can't
Jonas> hide them.

Sounds like you're looking for banner removal.

0> In article <vuo1zas7akn.fsf@csa.bu.edu>, Emerick wrote:

Emerick> Heh, that's funny.  The article treatment routine I want to
Emerick> write is one that will remove the Onelist ads :) Quite
Emerick> annoying, aren't they?

I have a group fed from a Onelist server; it has

 (banner . "^\\( +~~~.*\n +Check out our Daily Cartoon.*\n +<a href=\".+\">Click Here</a>.*\\|-------------------+ ONElist Sponsor ----------------+\n\\)\n\\(.\\|\n\\)*")

in the group parameters; you can edit this from Custom if you prefer.
(Sorry for the long line)

You might need to change the regular expression for your particular
list banner, but the idea is sound.

* Re: Banner removal (was: Creating a custom article treatment funtion?)
@ 1999-10-19 13:48       ` Steinar Bang
       [not found]       ` <wtnn1tf5jco.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
From: Steinar Bang @ 1999-10-19 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas> Jonas Steverud <URL:mailto:d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se>
Emerick> Emerick Rogul <URL:mailto:emerick@cs.bu.edu>

0> In article <wtnpuych5o6.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>, Jonas wrote:

Jonas> On two mailinglists I am on, which are provided by egroups and
Jonas> onelist, I get commercials at the end of the article.  These
Jonas> aren't .sigs (no "-- " but a long line of dashes) so I can't
Jonas> hide them.

> Sounds like you're looking for banner removal.

Then I learnt something new and gnusy today as well.  Banner removal
rocks!

* Re: Banner removal (was: Creating a custom article treatment funtion?)
@ 1999-10-19 14:41         ` Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 1999-10-19 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang writes:

:::::: Toby Speight <Toby.Speight@streapadair.freeserve.co.uk>:
Jonas: Jonas Steverud <URL:mailto:d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se>
Emerick: Emerick Rogul <URL:mailto:emerick@cs.bu.edu>

0: In article <wtnpuych5o6.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>, Jonas wrote:

Jonas: On two mailinglists I am on, which are provided by egroups and
Jonas: onelist, I get commercials at the end of the article.  These
Jonas: aren't .sigs (no "-- " but a long line of dashes) so I can't
Jonas: hide them.

:: Sounds like you're looking for banner removal.

: Then I learnt something new and gnusy today as well.  Banner removal
: rocks!

Yes, it does...  This one managed to escape my attention somehow.
Thanks Jonas!

-Emerick
Emerick Rogul        /\/  "i wouldn't want to live in a world that had
emerick@cs.bu.edu    /\/   seen my genitalia. you've got no trump card."
-------------------------------------------------------- janeane garofalo

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-06 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> LAAARRRRSSSS! Put this in the FM so someone (like me) can RT it!
> It was not in the 0.91 manual at least.

It's in 0.97, at least...

@ 1999-11-06 22:09   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-06 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> I would also like to see some sort of generic interface for article
> treating.

Well, you can just stick whatever function you want in
`gnus-part-display-hook'.