* Cannot use nnweb for dejanews
@ 1999-07-15  0:44 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1999-07-15  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using Pterodactyl Gnus v0.95, I tried to use the "G w" command to accept
dejanews.  It tells me its contacting what seems to be the appropiate site
but then it hangs.  Is something broken?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

* Re: Cannot use nnweb for dejanews
@ 1999-07-15 16:17 ` Doug Bagley
From: Doug Bagley @ 1999-07-15 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
> Using Pterodactyl Gnus v0.95, I tried to use the "G w" command to accept
> dejanews.  It tells me its contacting what seems to be the appropiate site
> but then it hangs.  Is something broken?

Well since we change our interface almost every quarter, I wouldn't be
at all surprised :-)

One thing, nnweb used the domain "dejanews.com", it would be easier
to go to "deja.com" these days, so you don't have to go through the
redirect baloney.

Cheers,
Doug

* Re: Cannot use nnweb for dejanews
@ 1999-07-15 16:47   ` Raja R Harinath
From: Raja R Harinath @ 1999-07-15 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jake Colman, ding

Doug Bagley <doug@deja.com> writes:
> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
> > Using Pterodactyl Gnus v0.95, I tried to use the "G w" command to accept
> > dejanews.  It tells me its contacting what seems to be the appropiate site
> > but then it hangs.  Is something broken?
>
> Well since we change our interface almost every quarter, I wouldn't be
> at all surprised :-)
>
> One thing, nnweb used the domain "dejanews.com", it would be easier
> to go to "deja.com" these days, so you don't have to go through the
> redirect baloney.

It would be nice if you could provide a "raw article" interface, so
that we don't have to go through the HTML interface baloney ;-)

- Hari

* Re: Cannot use nnweb for dejanews
@ 1999-07-15 17:00     ` Eric Marsden
From: Eric Marsden @ 1999-07-15 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

  rrh> It would be nice if you could provide a "raw article" interface, so
  rrh> that we don't have to go through the HTML interface baloney ;-)

they do. You can retrieve the original text format of an article with
Dejanews ID <did> as

   <URL:http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=<did>&fmt=text>

--
Eric Marsden
It's elephants all the way down

* Re: Cannot use nnweb for dejanews
@ 1999-07-15 19:36       ` Toby Speight
From: Toby Speight @ 1999-07-15 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

ecm> Eric Marsden <URL:mailto:emarsden@mail.dotcom.fr>

rrh> It would be nice if you could provide a "raw article" interface, so
rrh> that we don't have to go through the HTML interface baloney ;-)

0> In <URL:news:wzi673lvoeq.fsf@mail.dotcom.fr>, ecm wrote:

ecm> they do. You can retrieve the original text format of an article with
ecm> Dejanews ID <did> as
ecm>
ecm>    <URL:http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=<did>&fmt=text>

Or you can do it by Message-ID (useful for articles that have expired
from the server you're currently reading):

(defun fetch-message-from-dejanews (message-id)
  "Fetch MESSAGE-ID from DejaNews archive."
  (interactive "sMessage-Id: ")
  (w3-fetch (format "http://www.deja.com/msgid.xp?MID=%%3C%s%%3E&fmt=raw"
                    (url-hexify-string message-id)))
  (let ((gnus-article-buffer w3-last-buffer)
        (inhibit-read-only t))
    (gnus-article-highlight)))

(defun fetch-message-from-nntp (message-id)
  (interactive "sMessage-Id: ")
  ;; can use either `gnus-request-article' or `nntp-request-article' here...
  (and (nntp-request-article (concat "<" message-id ">"))
       (eval-and-compile
         (condition-case nil (mapcar 'require '(url url-news)) (error nil)))
       (url-format-news)))

(defun fetch-message-intelligently (message-id)
  "Fetch MESSAGE-ID."
  (interactive "sMessage-Id: ")
  (save-excursion
    (or (fetch-message-from-nntp message-id)
        (fetch-message-from-dejanews message-id))))

[Lars, if you want to add something based on this, go ahead]

* Re: Cannot use nnweb for dejanews
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-08-27 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Toby Speight <Toby.Speight@streapadair.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> (defun fetch-message-from-dejanews (message-id)
>   "Fetch MESSAGE-ID from DejaNews archive."
>   (interactive "sMessage-Id: ")
>   (w3-fetch (format "http://www.deja.com/msgid.xp?MID=%%3C%s%%3E&fmt=raw"
>                     (url-hexify-string message-id)))
>   (let ((gnus-article-buffer w3-last-buffer)
>         (inhibit-read-only t))
>     (gnus-article-highlight)))

Coolio.  Perhaps something like this could be added to nnweb to
fetch articles by Message-ID, and then one could just set
gnus-refer-article-method to the nnweb method?