* Gnus doesn't quite hide an entire emphasized signature
@ 1999-03-05 15:01 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1999-03-05 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I hide signatures in some mailing list groups.  Because mailing list
host sites are forever adding yet more crud to their trailers, my
gnus-signature-separators has gained elements like this:

"^____________________________________________________________________________\nto unsub"

Here's a sample blob of visual noise at the end of all messages on one list:

present, as expected (and in boldface)...but the word "digest" still
appears as well, all by itself, in boldface:

| ____________________________________________________________________________
| *digest*

It appears that emphasization in signatures defeats signature hiding.
Weird.  Screenshot at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~karl/pgnus/hidesig.gif.

* Re: Gnus doesn't quite hide an entire emphasized signature
@ 1999-03-05 20:25 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-03-05 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:

> I hide signatures in some mailing list groups.  Because mailing list
> host sites are forever adding yet more crud to their trailers, my
> gnus-signature-separators has gained elements like this:

I'd actually recommend doing the new "banner" deletion instead, but...

> Note the presence of "*digest*" in this trailer.  When Gnus displays
> messages from this mailing list, the line of underscores is left
> present, as expected (and in boldface)...but the word "digest" still
> appears as well, all by itself, in boldface:

> | *digest*

... fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.81.