* Bug in `nnfolder-generate-active-file'?
@ 1999-02-08 19:05 Thor Kristoffersen
From: Thor Kristoffersen @ 1999-02-08 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the function `nnfolder-generate-active-file' (as of Gnus 5.6.45) we
find the following code

(let ((files (directory-files nnfolder-directory))
      file)

But if you run Emacs on a SYSV Unix, Gnus will break up nnfolder names
into directory names ("mail.misc" becomes "mail/misc"), so
`directory-files' will search `nnfolder-directory' in vain.  Is this
correct or have I overlooked something?

Thor

* Re: Bug in `nnfolder-generate-active-file'?
@ 1999-02-08 20:05 ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-02-08 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thor Kristoffersen <Thor.Kristoffersen@nr.no> writes:

> But if you run Emacs on a SYSV Unix, Gnus will break up nnfolder names
> into directory names ("mail.misc" becomes "mail/misc"), so
> `directory-files' will search `nnfolder-directory' in vain.  Is this
> correct or have I overlooked something?

What is the value of gnus-use-long-file-name ?

-Justin

* Re: Bug in `nnfolder-generate-active-file'?
@ 1999-02-08 20:28   ` Thor Kristoffersen
From: Thor Kristoffersen @ 1999-02-08 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > But if you run Emacs on a SYSV Unix, Gnus will break up nnfolder names
> > into directory names ("mail.misc" becomes "mail/misc"), so
> > `directory-files' will search `nnfolder-directory' in vain.  Is this
> > correct or have I overlooked something?
>
> What is the value of gnus-use-long-file-name ?

nil

@ 1999-02-08 21:11     ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-02-08 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thor Kristoffersen <Thor.Kristoffersen@nr.no> writes:

> > > But if you run Emacs on a SYSV Unix, Gnus will break up nnfolder names
> > > into directory names ("mail.misc" becomes "mail/misc"), so
> > > `directory-files' will search `nnfolder-directory' in vain.  Is this
> > > correct or have I overlooked something?
> >
> > What is the value of gnus-use-long-file-name ?
>
> nil

Right.  That's the issue that you're running into.  The default value
of this variable differs between operating systems.  Note the last
paragraph of the variable's documentation:

**
`gnus-use-long-file-name' is a variable declared in Lisp.

Value: nil

Documentation:
*Non-nil means that the default name of a file to save articles in is the group name.
If it's nil, the directory form of the group name is used instead.

If this variable is a list, and the list contains the element
`not-score', long file names will not be used for score files; if it
contains the element `not-save', long file names will not be used for
saving; and if it contains the element `not-kill', long file names
will not be used for kill files.

Note that the default for this variable varies according to what system
type you're using.  On `usg-unix-v' and `xenix' this variable defaults
to nil while on all other systems it defaults to t.
**

Just explicitly set this to whichever value you like in your ~/.gnus
file, and things will be the same everywhere.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: Bug in `nnfolder-generate-active-file'?
@ 1999-02-09 16:08 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-09 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thor Kristoffersen <Thor.Kristoffersen@nr.no> writes:

> But if you run Emacs on a SYSV Unix, Gnus will break up nnfolder names
> into directory names ("mail.misc" becomes "mail/misc"), so
> `directory-files' will search `nnfolder-directory' in vain.  Is this
> correct or have I overlooked something?

It was a bug, but now I've documented it, so now it's a feature.