* Problems reading some mail and news messages.
@ 2004-07-21  3:15 Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2004-07-21  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Is there anyone with problems to read email and news messages but just
on some messages? I mean, they appear duplicated, once with the body and
then, on the same message, the headers --- as if they were part of the
body --- and the body again.

I can read other messages on the same group just fine, but some of them
show up with this. I'm pasting one message as I see it (I pressed 't' to
have the full headers anywhere they are...

From: Peter Hansen <peter@engcorp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
Subject: Re: Call for Grant Proposals

See http://www.python.org/psf/donations.html for just why this is so...
and consider getting your own name on the list.

It really shouldn't be considered "amazing" that people donate, I
think... it just makes sense.

-Peter
From: Peter Hansen <peter@engcorp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:57:28 -0400

Istvan Albert wrote:

> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
>> The Python Software Foundation is seeking grant proposals for projects
>> related to the further development of Python, Python-related
>> technology, and educational resources. The PSF plans to issue calls
>> for proposals regularly.
>
> This is such an awesome idea and even more amazing is that you guys
> have the funds to do it.

See http://www.python.org/psf/donations.html for just why this is so...
and consider getting your own name on the list.

It really shouldn't be considered "amazing" that people donate, I
think... it just makes sense.

-Peter

I noticed, now, that if I press 't', then when I theoretically turn the
'all headers' off, the correct headers appears on the top of the
buffer. Without the first 't', what I originally see begins at the first
paragraph of the "first" message: "See http://....".

I'm using Leafnode 1.9.40 as my local news server. This problem happens
with messages from different upstream servers and also with some email
(Courier IMAP, reading with nnimap method).

Is it something messed up here on my configuration files or is it some
other kind of problem?

TIA,
--
Godoy.     <godoy@ieee.org>

* Re: Problems reading some mail and news messages.
@ 2004-07-21  8:58 ` Karl Chen
From: Karl Chen @ 2004-07-21  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Jorge> Hi!  Is there anyone with problems to read email and
    Jorge> news messages but just on some messages? I mean, they
    Jorge> appear duplicated, once with the body and then, on the
    Jorge> same message, the headers --- as if they were part of
    Jorge> the body --- and the body again.

You might be using the wrong mail back-end

--
Karl 2004-07-21 01:57

* Re: Problems reading some mail and news messages.
@ 2004-07-21 12:40   ` Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2004-07-21 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Chen <quarl@nospam.quarl.org> writes:

>     Jorge>
>     Jorge> Hi!  Is there anyone with problems to read email and
>     Jorge> news messages but just on some messages? I mean, they
>     Jorge> appear duplicated, once with the body and then, on the
>     Jorge> same message, the headers --- as if they were part of
>     Jorge> the body --- and the body again.
>
> You might be using the wrong mail back-end

I'm sorry, but I couldn't understand your point.

I'm using the same backend for every newsgroup (nntp) and IMAP folder
(nnimap). Why do some messages show the problem and other, on the same
folder, do not?

Relevant parts of my ~/.gnus:

;; EMail
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "g2ctech"
		(nnimap-address "internet.g2ctech")
		(nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX"))
		;(nnimap-expunge-on-close 'always)
		(nnimap-expunge-on-close 'ask)
		)))

; Show all messages, even read and old ones
(setq gnus-fetch-old-headers t)

; Send emails
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "internet.g2ctech")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "g2ctech.com")
(setq smtpmail-sendto-domain "g2ctech.com")
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)

Thanks,
--

@ 2004-07-21 14:37     ` Karl Chen
From: Karl Chen @ 2004-07-21 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Jorge> I'm using the same backend for every newsgroup (nntp)
    Jorge> and IMAP folder (nnimap). Why do some messages show the
    Jorge> problem and other, on the same folder, do not?

Ok never mind then -- it was just a guess (something similar
happened to me when Gnus guessed mail digest or something, for my
mbox).

Do all messages show OK on a different IMAP client?

--
Karl 2004-07-21 07:35

* Re: Problems reading some mail and news messages.
@ 2004-07-21 16:05       ` Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2004-07-21 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     Jorge> I'm using the same backend for every newsgroup (nntp)
>     Jorge> and IMAP folder (nnimap). Why do some messages show the
>     Jorge> problem and other, on the same folder, do not?
>
> Ok never mind then -- it was just a guess (something similar
> happened to me when Gnus guessed mail digest or something, for my
> mbox).
>
> Do all messages show OK on a different IMAP client?

I haven't seen such a problem on the webmail or KMail or, for the nntp
backend, KNode. This made me discard the problem as being on the servers
themselves.

--
Godoy.     <godoy@ieee.org>