From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: wallowing out of the spam quagmire
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:40:35 -0500	[thread overview]

"Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

[...]

> Also there was a patch for the spam.el manual section posted on this
> newsgroup, which needs a second pair of eyes.  If you could take a
> look at that and see how well it works for you (being a potential new
> spam.el user) that would be very helpful.

About how long ago... looking at the last 2000 messages I haven't
been able to ID it.  Is it already in cvs manual?  I just
updated.. and read some of the docu on spam.el.  It seems horribly
complicated.

> Generally, any feedback on the setup difficulty of spam.el (not the
> manual, but the complexity of the data structures and procedures) is
> very welcome.

My usage will probably be the simplest one would find.  I want to run
bogofilter against only one group.  (My setup described in previous
post) .. that group gets whatever has made it by SA and dozens of my
own procmail rules including splitting out many list-server messages
from dozens of subscribed lists.  So this group doesn't get lots of
mail.  However, the spam that shows up there though is fairly
sophisticated and will be hard to indentify as spam. (for computer
tools).

It is readily indentifieable by humans though, so I thought if I showed
enough of it to bogofilter, that filter would eventually become able to
indentify most of it.  Maybe that isn't how Bogofilter works..?

At this stage I'd like to see a few steps that would get this process
started.  Something like (examples are made up):

1) put (some elisp) in G p of this group (auto-detect I guess)
2) install bogofilter and set (`bogo-on' to t)
3) set variables (spam-group "groupname") (ham-group "groupname")
4) enter group and mark messages spam or ham
5) let bogofiter wallow around in spam-group ham-group several times
   a day.
Do steps four/five 7,535 times and then bogofilter will know what is
what....