* Gnus not recognizing encrypted message
@ 2003-12-07 21:44 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2003-12-07 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Normally, if someone sends me an encrypted message, Gnus recognizes the
fact when I try to read the message, and it prompts me, asking me if I
want to decrypt it.  If so, I get prompted for my passphrase and if the
message was properly encrypted with my public key, I can then read it.

However, today I received an encrypted message, and Gnus didn't
recognize it as being something to decrypt.

The message arrived as a single-part multipart/mixed message, with both
the encrypted message and the user's public key that part.

If I copy that part to a separate file and run `pgg-decrypt' on it, I
get prompted for my passphrase, and it decrypts with no trouble.  So I
know that the encryption block itself is OK.

Here's the structure of the information inside of that single part
of the multipart/mixed message:

  -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
  Version: MailVault 2.2 from MailVault Corporation  http://www.mailvault.com

  ... base 64 stuff ...

  -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

  PGP Public Key for Sender <sender@sendingdomain.tld>:

Could it be that Gnus doesn't recognize this block because it's within a
part of a multipart/mixed message?  Or perhaps could the extra public
key block be confusing things?

Whatever the case, is there a way to set up Gnus so that it recognizes
the encrypted message within the message part and then runs me through
the standard decryption dialog?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Gnus not recognizing encrypted message
@ 2003-12-07 23:57 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-12-07 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> The message arrived as a single-part multipart/mixed message, with both
> the encrypted message and the user's public key that part.

Unfortunately Gnus doesn't detect inline PGP in already parsed parts, such
as a MIME part within a multipart/mixed.  The inline PGP code is only run
if there are is only one top-level text part.

* Re: Gnus not recognizing encrypted message
@ 2003-12-08 13:32   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2003-12-08 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Simon Josefsson" <jas@extundo.com> writes:

>> The message arrived as a single-part multipart/mixed message, with both
>> the encrypted message and the user's public key that part.
>
> Unfortunately Gnus doesn't detect inline PGP in already parsed parts,
> such as a MIME part within a multipart/mixed.  The inline PGP code is
> only run if there are is only one top-level text part.

Thank you.  Well, I figured out that I can run `gnus-display-mime' from
the Summary buffer in order to trigger the decryption dialog for
messages like these.  That's better than nothing.

But is there some sort of part-parsing hook that I can write, which
could trigger the inline PGP code for each appropriate part?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-12-31  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> But is there some sort of part-parsing hook that I can write, which
> could trigger the inline PGP code for each appropriate part?

I don't think so, but you could defadvice `gnus-mm-display-part', I
guess...