* pop3-movemail trouble
@ 1999-06-15 12:56 Erik Østlyngen
From: Erik Østlyngen @ 1999-06-15 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to make pgnus fetch mail from a pop3 server, but I get an
error from the pop3 server.

After starting, pgnus says "Mail source error", and the output from
the pop server is:

+OK POP3 dj.stud.ntnu.no proxy server v1.0 ready.
-ERR Command line too long.
-ERR Null command.

I tried to telnet the pop server and it seemed to work ok:

+OK POP3 biff.stud.ntnu.no proxy server v1.0 ready.
user erikoest
+OK User name accepted, password please
pass secret
+OK Mailbox open, 2 messages
quit

Is it possible to log the commands that pguns sends to the pop server?

I have tried, with success, to fetch mail from another server. The
output from the server was then:

+OK QPOP (version 2.53) at inbit.ifbt.ntnu.no starting.
+OK Password required for eriko.
+OK eriko has 0 messages (0 octets).
+OK 0 0
+OK Pop server at inbit.ifbt.ntnu.no signing off.

I'm using NtEmacs20.3 and NT4.0

-Erik Østlyngen

* Re: pop3-movemail trouble
@ 1999-06-15 18:23 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-06-15 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \

* Re: pop3-movemail trouble
@ 1999-06-16  7:26   ` Erik Østlyngen
From: Erik Østlyngen @ 1999-06-16  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> * "Erik Østlyngen" <eriko@ifbt.ntnu.no>  on Tue, 15 Jun 1999
> | Is it possible to log the commands that pguns sends to the pop server?
>
> I rather miserably failed to get that working right (the code is commented
> out of pop3.el if you want to take a look at it).  What pop3 does leave
> behind is a trace buffer of everything that comes back from the server
> (less actual message bodies).  Looking at that might give you an idea of
> what is going on.

Yes, I've seen that. The buffer contains the following after the "Mail
source error" occurs:

  +OK POP3 dj.stud.ntnu.no proxy server v1.0 ready.
  -ERR Command line too long.
  -ERR Null command.

It looks like pguns (I'm using version 0.88) sends an invalid command
to the server after connecting. Is there an easy way to insert trace
sentences into the pop3 code? (I'm not a very skilled lisp
programmer).  The pop3-user and pop3-pass functions contains some
string variables which I would like to examine.

I have tried connecting to the pop server by telnet, and it accepts
the usual commands (which pgnus is supposed to send):

telnet pop.stud.ntnu.no 110
  <connected>
  +OK POP3 dj.stud.ntnu.no proxy server v1.0 ready.
  user erikoest
  +OK User name accepted, password please
  pass SecretWord
  +OK Mailbox open, 2 messages
  quit
  +OK Sayonara
  <connection closed>

My .emacs file has the following (relevant) declarations:

  (setq nnmail-spool-file '(
  (pop :user "erikoest"
       :server "pop.stud.ntnu.no"
       :password "SecretWord")
  ))

  (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
  (setq mail-source-delete-incoming t)

  (setq user-full-name "Erik Østlyngen")
  (setq user-mail-address "Erik.Ostlyngen@ifbt.ntnu.no")

  (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "inbit.ifbt.ntnu.no")
  (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
  (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

  (setq gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "news.ntnu.no")))
  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "private")))
  (setq gnus-message-archive-group "archive")

-Erik Østlyngen

* Re: pop3-movemail trouble
@ 1999-06-16 16:06     ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-06-16 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1999-06-17  9:10       ` Erik Østlyngen
From: Erik Østlyngen @ 1999-06-17  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: (ding)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:
> * "Erik Østlyngen" <eriko@ifbt.ntnu.no>  on Wed, 16 Jun 1999
> |   +OK POP3 dj.stud.ntnu.no proxy server v1.0 ready.
> |   -ERR Command line too long.
> |   -ERR Null command.
>
> That... is strange.  'Command line too long' is not a valid error in any
> event as POP requires that excess gubbage be ignored.  I cannot recreate
> the error manually, which makes it difficult to track down what is causing
> the problem.  pGnus sends nothing to the POP server; that traffic is
> handled entirely by pop3.el.  It sends nothing other than what you are
> typing.  It is a very simple, very literal, brute-force library.

I'm sorry. I thought pop3.el was part of pGnus.

> |  (setq nnmail-spool-file '(
>
> This variable's name has changed to mail-sources.  What does 'C-h v' tell
> you about mail-sources or nnmail-spool-file?

mail-sources is nil

nnmail-spool-file is:
((pop :user "erikoest"
      :server "pop.stud.ntnu.no"
      :password "SecretWord" ))

I tried to change my .emacs to use mail-sources instead of
nnmail-spool-file.

nnmail-spool-file is now ((file))

mail-sources is:
((pop :user "erikoest"
      :server "pop.stud.ntnu.no"
      :password "SecretWord" ))

But the response is the same. I still get the "Command line too long"
error. I think I will see if the system administrator here knows what
this error message means.

-Erik Østlyngen

* Re: pop3-movemail trouble
@ 1999-06-17 20:46         ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-06-17 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover

* Re: pop3-movemail trouble
@ 1999-06-18 13:11           ` Erik Østlyngen
From: Erik Østlyngen @ 1999-06-18 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:
> * "Erik Østlyngen" <eriko@ifbt.ntnu.no>  on Thu, 17 Jun 1999
> | But the response is the same. I still get the "Command line too long"
> | error. I think I will see if the system administrator here knows what
> | this error message means.
>
> That is a good idea.  Or find out what POP server is being used (it is not
> particularly obvious from this end), so I can take a look at the code and
> see what it is doing.

I solved the problem.  In pop3.el, I changed the function
pop3-send-command:

(defun pop3-send-command (process command)
    (set-buffer (process-buffer process))
    (goto-char (point-max))
    (setq pop3-read-point (point))
    (goto-char (point-max))
    (process-send-string process command)
    (process-send-string process "\r\n")
    )

to:

(defun pop3-send-command (process command)
    (set-buffer (process-buffer process))
    (goto-char (point-max))
    (setq pop3-read-point (point))
    (goto-char (point-max))
    (process-send-string process (concat command "\r\n"))
    )

I don't know _why_ this works better. If it is any help, the pop
server answers "-ERR Command line too long" on very long commands,
e.g. "USER aaaaaaaaaaaaa...(1700 chars)"

-Erik Østlyngen

* Re: pop3-movemail trouble
@ 1999-06-18 16:52             ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-06-18 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ of skin.