* searching mail
@ 1999-03-31  2:46 John Saylor
From: John Saylor @ 1999-03-31  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I've been using gnus to read mail, and I like it. One thing I'm
missing is the ability to search my mail messages for a phrase- like
"posting-styles".

I saw Kai had posted something on gnu.emacs.sources to provice an
emacs front end to a search engine which seems nice, but a little high
on overhead. Are there any other options in gnus for searching mail?

Also, what about saving mail? Can anyone offer arguments as to why
it's better to put them all messages in a single big file or many
smaller files?

Anyone who switched from one way to the other? And why?

As always, thanks.

--
\js

"Well, social relevance is a schtick, like mysteries, social relevance,
science fiction..."
-- Art Spiegelman

* Re: searching mail
@ 1999-03-31 13:23 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-03-31 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a summary buffer, you can type M-s to search the messages for a
regex.  The search starts with the current message and proceeds
through all messages shown.

Is this sufficient?

kai
--
I'd like to welcome you and an orange juice, please.

* Re: searching mail
@ 1999-03-31 13:27 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-03-31 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Saylor <jsaylor@mediaone.net> writes:

> Hi
>
> I've been using gnus to read mail, and I like it. One thing I'm
> missing is the ability to search my mail messages for a phrase- like
> "posting-styles".
>
> I saw Kai had posted something on gnu.emacs.sources to provice an
> emacs front end to a search engine which seems nice, but a little high
> on overhead. Are there any other options in gnus for searching mail?

Kai's nnir.el is by far the best method becaues it can search one or
all groups ( your choice)

Gnus does have native search ability though.  In a group you can
search for a regular expression using the command 'M-s' and then enter
the expression at the prompt.

This method is rather slow, as it shows you each hit as you go.

The "limiting" features are excellent for author, subject etc
searches.  (In group buffer press C-c C-i then g <type Limiting><RET>
to learn about those features)

There is one more handy search technique that will find a string in
the body as you mention.

Try the `&' command and follow the prompts.  When asked for "header"
at the prompt, say "Body" then enter the search string.  Gnus will ask
you what command to execute on its findings.  Enter "#".

Gnus will then tear thru the group putting the "Process" (#) mark on
any articles containing the string you entered.  You can then limit
the view to those articles by pressing `/ n'

This way is fast and powerful, but is limited to one group at a time.
Although may work on `Virtural' grouos or in `Topics'.  I haven't
tried that.

In group/summary buffer press C-c C-i  g then type <searching for
articles><RET>  to read about this technique.

> Also, what about saving mail? Can anyone offer arguments as to why
> it's better to put them all messages in a single big file or many
> smaller files?
>
> Anyone who switched from one way to the other? And why?

Not exactly, but I think the nnfolder is an example of a spool file,
and I've noticed it to be much slower to enter or generate a summary,
than the nnml groups.

--
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Running Redhat Linux 5.2