* pop :program change
@ 1999-02-03 16:08 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-03 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

More flexibility is needed when specifying programs to move mail, so
I've made a tiny format-spec library that allows one to specify this
in a more convenient way.  So people who have used :program before
will experience breakage in 0.76.

Quoth the new manual:

    `:program'
          The program to use to fetch mail from the POP server.  This
          is should be a `format'-like string.  Here's an example:

               fetchmail %u@%s -P %p %t

          The valid format specifier characters are:

         `t'
               The name of the file the mail is to be moved to.  This
               must always be included in this string.

         `s'
               The name of the server.

         `P'
               The port number of the server.

         `u'
               The user name to use.

         `p'
               The password to use.

          The values used for these specs are taken from the values you
          give the corresponding keywords.

* Re: pop :program change
@ 1999-02-12  7:36 ` Urban Engberg
From: Urban Engberg @ 1999-02-12  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Going from 0.72, I can't get pop via movemail to work in 0.76, having
tried all sorts of different settings.

In 0.72, I have been using

      nnmail-spool-file '("/usr/mail/ue" "po:ue")
      nnmail-pop-password-required t
      nnmail-pop-password "xxx"

(my MAILHOST environment variable sets the standard pop server).

For 0.76, reading the manual, I have been trying e.g.

     nnmail-spool-file
        '((file :path "/usr/mail/ue")
          (pop :program "movemail"
              :args (format "po:%s %s %s" ue mail-source-crash-box xxx)))

     nnmail-spool-file
        '((file :path "/usr/mail/ue")
          (pop :program "movemail -p ue %t xxx"))

but neither is able to retrieve any mail.

--
ue@cci.dk

* Re: pop :program change
@ 1999-02-19 12:15   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]     ` <m3vhgyyu7u.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-19 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Urban Engberg <ue@cci.dk> writes:

> For 0.76, reading the manual, I have been trying e.g.
>
>      nnmail-spool-file
>         '((file :path "/usr/mail/ue")
>           (pop :program "movemail"
>               :args (format "po:%s %s %s" ue mail-source-crash-box xxx)))

This has changed in 0.76:

       [not found]         ` <m390duyqst.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-19 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> One of the nice features of fetchmail is that it has 'preconnect' and
> 'postconnect' options for each server polled.

[...]

> Something like this in mail-source would be especially useful.

So should all the mail sources allow :preconnect and :postconnect (or
whatever) keywords?  They could be format strings, like the :program
keyword.  (They should have better names though.  And perhaps allow
elisp functions as well.)

@ 1999-02-20 16:36           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-20 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> Hmmm... maybe?  I don't know that it makes sense for the local methods...
> but I figger someone can find a use for it.

I would have had to specify the format-spec syntax for each, so I
didn't bother.  :-)  I think this is mostly useful for pop people, and
I've added the prescript and postscript keywords to 0.77 for pop.

* Re: pop :program change
       [not found]     ` <m3vhgyyu7u.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
@ 1999-02-22  7:42     ` Urban Engberg
From: Urban Engberg @ 1999-02-22  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This has changed in 0.76:

Yes, I know.  The problem is, I can't find a way to make pop via
movemail work with the new syntax (I had no problems in 0.72).  I may
be somewhat confused by the new options.  Has anyone got a setting
that does the right thing?

--
ue@cci.dk

* Re: pop :program change
@ 1999-02-23  0:52       ` Aaron M. Ucko
From: Aaron M. Ucko @ 1999-02-23  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Urban Engberg <ue@cci.dk> writes:

> Yes, I know.  The problem is, I can't find a way to make pop via
> movemail work with the new syntax (I had no problems in 0.72).  I may
> be somewhat confused by the new options.  Has anyone got a setting
> that does the right thing?

(setq nnmail-spool-file '((pop :program "movemail po:%u %t")))

--
Aaron M. Ucko, KB1CJC <amu@mit.edu> (finger amu@monk.mit.edu)