* scoring down
@ 1998-03-15 21:48 Harry Putnam
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-15 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Whatever experience I have with scoring had always been to score up, for
one reason or another.  Never really tried scoring down.  Recently had
the expeience of having a poster in one group posting forwarded messages
with outlook express.  Those postings are singularly obnoxious as they
insert into the wrong thread and mess up any threading there. The text
is dense with no paragraphs and the subject matter is usually very
trivial.

Well I decided to score this author down and did so.  Not sure what I
expected, but next time I opened the group this same authors posts are
nicely marked with a Y and showing read, but here they still are.  If
scoring down doesn't keep articles from showing when the group is opened
then what is the point of it?  I guess I thought that when gnus did the
scoring on opening a group that those marked Y and read would not be
shown.  I mean I had hoped a group showing 80 unread but 10 of those get
scored down when the scoring happens, would only show 70 in the summary.

I can think of many uses of scoring up but, mainly to provide further
sorting with 'limited' views.  Not many come to mind for scoring down
since those articles will be marked as read whether they are scored down
or not, when I exit the group with 'Z c Y'.  So if it still requires
further action to hide undesirable posts then what is the advantage of
scoring down?

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com