* retrieval of incorrect number of articles from nnmbox
@ 1998-03-07 21:59 Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 1998-03-07 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I use a nnmbox format for storing my mail (and I use splitting of
incoming mail into nnmbox:group with different `groups'). I delete
some mail messages (using `B delete') from time to time. If one of the
nnmbox groups becomes large enough (greater than the default limit of
200 messages), Gnus asks something like the following when I try to
enter that group:

  How many articles from nnmbox:mail.misc (default 220):

If I press `return', I get all articles loaded. However, if I do
specify how many articles to load, e.g., 10 articles, I often (really
every time) will get the number of articles which is less than the
specified number (e.g., asking 10 articles, I can get only 3). Is it a
bug or a feature?

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.

* Re: retrieval of incorrect number of articles from nnmbox
@ 1998-03-07 22:59 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-07 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:

> If I press `return', I get all articles loaded. However, if I do
> specify how many articles to load, e.g., 10 articles, I often (really
> every time) will get the number of articles which is less than the
> specified number (e.g., asking 10 articles, I can get only 3). Is it a
> bug or a feature?

If the highest-numbered message is, say, 130, Gnus will ask nnmbox for
articles 121-130.  If seven of these are deleted, Gnus will only
receive three messages, which is what it displays.

* Re: retrieval of incorrect number of articles from nnmbox
@ 1998-03-07 23:13   ` Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 1998-03-07 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"LMI" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

 LMI> If the highest-numbered message is, say, 130, Gnus will ask
 LMI> nnmbox for articles 121-130.  If seven of these are deleted,
 LMI> Gnus will only receive three messages, which is what it
 LMI> displays.

But isn't an article number an exclusively internal quantity which is
used by Gnus but which is of no interest to the user? If I ask to get
10 articles but really get only 3 (or even 0), this seems a bit
confusing, isn't it?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-07 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:

> But isn't an article number an exclusively internal quantity which is
> used by Gnus but which is of no interest to the user? If I ask to get
> 10 articles but really get only 3 (or even 0), this seems a bit
> confusing, isn't it?

In general, the only thing Gnus knows about a group is MAX-NUM and
MIN-NUM.  (Especially in the case of nnml.)  Gnus does the lowest
common denominator thing among its backends here, so...

* Re: retrieval of incorrect number of articles from nnmbox
@ 1998-03-07 23:48       ` Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 1998-03-07 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"LMI" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

 LMI> In general, the only thing Gnus knows about a group is MAX-NUM
 LMI> and MIN-NUM.  (Especially in the case of nnml.)  Gnus does the
 LMI> lowest common denominator thing among its backends here, so...

So, one should always keep in mind, how many articles (and in which
number regions) were deleted and adjust the requested number of
articles? :) Is it possible to overcome this technical problem? May
be, introduce some backend-specific functions which should retrieve a
given number of (not deleted but really existing) articles?

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.
--
It's a brave man who, when things are at their darkest, can kick back and party!
		-- Dennis Quaid, "Inner Space"

* Re: retrieval of incorrect number of articles from nnmbox
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-08 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:

> So, one should always keep in mind, how many articles (and in which
> number regions) were deleted and adjust the requested number of
> articles? :) Is it possible to overcome this technical problem? May
> be, introduce some backend-specific functions which should retrieve a
> given number of (not deleted but really existing) articles?

Giving Gnus more info on what articles are actually available is on
the todo list, but is unlikely to be implemented anytime soon.