* problem using gnus
@ 2021-07-23 11:11 John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2021-07-23 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi.  I am having problems using gnus with an nntp server.  I can go
into the server and it gives me all the newsgroups in kill status.  If
I hit u it subscribes, and if I then hit enter, it asks me how many
articles and I usually say all.  So, I look at them and go down the
buffer and do gnus-summary-tatch-up-to here, finish reading the group
till all the articles are read and then get out of the buffer with k.

Now, if I try to go back into the server, -- even after exiting gnus
-- it gives me the newsgroup again with the total number of articles
listed, if I go into it it downloads the whole thing again -- not even
marked as read or anything.

It looks like the .newsrc and .newsrc.eld have the articles in there,
so I have no idea what to do.  Am I doing something wrong?

I am using gnus version  5.13  with emacs 27.2-r2.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         covici@ccs.covici.com

* Re: problem using gnus
@ 2021-07-23 12:23 ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-07-23 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> writes:

> Hi.  I am having problems using gnus with an nntp server.  I can go
> into the server and it gives me all the newsgroups in kill status.  If
> I hit u it subscribes, and if I then hit enter, it asks me how many
> articles and I usually say all.  So, I look at them and go down the
> buffer and do gnus-summary-tatch-up-to here, finish reading the group
> till all the articles are read and then get out of the buffer with k.
>
> Now, if I try to go back into the server, -- even after exiting gnus
> -- it gives me the newsgroup again with the total number of articles
> listed, if I go into it it downloads the whole thing again -- not even
> marked as read or anything.
>
> It looks like the .newsrc and .newsrc.eld have the articles in there,
> so I have no idea what to do.  Am I doing something wrong?

Once you subscribe a group in the server buffer, the group will be
visible in the group buffer. So, you are not required to go into the
server buffer again. And the groups in the group buffer will show the
correct unread count.

Server buffer is just to browse the groups hosted by a server. You can
read a couple of articles and decide if that matches your interests. I
think it will always fetch all the available articles.

* Re: problem using gnus
@ 2021-07-23 13:19   ` John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2021-07-23 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: ding

OK, thanks, I will check it out.

@ 2021-07-23 15:56   ` John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2021-07-23 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: ding

OK, that worked -- thanks.  Now I run into another problem -- when I
try to post something in one of the newsgroups, first it asked me for
a user name, since none is necessary, I just hit enter.  Then it said
do you want to post to this possibly unknown newsgroup.  When I said
yes, it started reading -- I cancelled after 3 megabytes, not sure if
it wanted to read the whole newsgroup into memory or something.
Nothing like this is mentioned in the manual -- I have not quite read
the whole thing yet.

Thanks.

@ 2021-07-23 16:27     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-07-23 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Covici; +Cc: Pankaj Jangid, ding

John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> writes:

> OK, that worked -- thanks.  Now I run into another problem -- when I
> try to post something in one of the newsgroups, first it asked me for
> a user name, since none is necessary, I just hit enter.  Then it said
> do you want to post to this possibly unknown newsgroup.  When I said
> yes, it started reading -- I cancelled after 3 megabytes, not sure if
> it wanted to read the whole newsgroup into memory or something.
> Nothing like this is mentioned in the manual -- I have not quite read
> the whole thing yet.

Can you show the definition of this server in your select methods? If
you don't have an entry for this machine in your .authinfo etc, it
should just skip authentication. Unless you've got `nntp-authinfo-force'
set to t somewhere?

* Re: problem using gnus
@ 2021-07-23 16:45       ` John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2021-07-23 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Pankaj Jangid, ding

The select method is just '(gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.grc.com")

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 12:27:05 -0400,
Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> writes:
>
> > OK, that worked -- thanks.  Now I run into another problem -- when I
> > try to post something in one of the newsgroups, first it asked me for
> > a user name, since none is necessary, I just hit enter.  Then it said
> > do you want to post to this possibly unknown newsgroup.  When I said
> > yes, it started reading -- I cancelled after 3 megabytes, not sure if
> > it wanted to read the whole newsgroup into memory or something.
> > Nothing like this is mentioned in the manual -- I have not quite read
> > the whole thing yet.
>
> Can you show the definition of this server in your select methods? If
> you don't have an entry for this machine in your .authinfo etc, it
> should just skip authentication. Unless you've got `nntp-authinfo-force'
> set to t somewhere?

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         covici@ccs.covici.com

* Re: problem using gnus
@ 2021-07-23 16:51         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-07-23 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Covici; +Cc: Pankaj Jangid, ding

John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> writes:

> The select method is just '(gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.grc.com")

Does it have a corresponding entry in your ~/.authinfo{.gpg} file?

* Re: problem using gnus
@ 2021-07-23 16:52         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-07-23 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

John writes:

> The select method is just '(gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.grc.com")

Maybe Gnus is prompting for a username because that server doesn't allow
posting?

    $ telnet news.grc.com nntp
    Trying 4.79.142.203...
    Connected to news.grc.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    200 news.grc.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.6.3 ready (no posting)
    MODE READER
    200 news.grc.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.6.3 ready (no posting)
    GROUP grc.test
    211 114 128140 128270 grc.test
    POST
    480 Posting not allowed

Maybe Gnus tries to auth because that might open up for posting? (Just
guessing!)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Check my heart and respiration                            Adam Sjøgren
  I feel I look a little pale                          asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: problem using gnus
@ 2021-07-23 17:26           ` John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2021-07-23 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Pankaj Jangid, ding

I don't even have such a file -- but the main question is about trying
to post and the strange behavior I am getting.

@ 2021-07-23 17:27           ` John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2021-07-23 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

It seems after a bit if you stay on the server it says Posting OK, at
least I saw that when I did a telnet like you did to make sure.

@ 2021-07-23 17:29             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-07-23 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Covici; +Cc: Pankaj Jangid, ding

John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> writes:

> I don't even have such a file -- but the main question is about trying
> to post and the strange behavior I am getting.

Then I think Adam's probably barking up the right tree: looks like the
server doesn't allow posting, or doesn't allow un-auth posting. I can't
explain why it's downloading a ton of data, though.

* Re: problem using gnus
@ 2021-07-23 17:41             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-07-23 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

John writes:

> It seems after a bit if you stay on the server it says Posting OK, at
> least I saw that when I did a telnet like you did to make sure.

I can't reproduce that after typing various commands and looking at a
couple of articles. It still says "no posting" to me.

You can set the variable nntp-record-commands to t and then look at the
*nntp-log* buffer to follow what commands Gnus sends to the news server,
maybe that'll reveal something.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "This worked a treat, as there is nothing like a           Adam Sjøgren
  patronising royal to get things done."               asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: problem using gnus
@ 2021-07-23 20:14               ` John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2021-07-23 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

Maybe I will do that, thanks.

@ 2021-07-23 22:23               ` John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2021-07-23 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

OK, I found the problem, indeed I needed authorization to post, but I
wish it had told me that -- oh well.

Thanks all.