* Virtual group by date
@ 2010-08-24  2:08 Manuel Carro
From: Manuel Carro @ 2010-08-24  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi.  I would like to be able to define a virtual group which puts
together articles from all groups up to a given date - say, those which
are at most one week old.  I could obviously have a group which collects
*all* my messages and then sort them by date pay attention only to the
last week.  However, I manage many messages and I prefer not to do this,
partially because I want the group buffer to show me both read and
unread articles (e.g., with / O).  Any advice on how to do this?

Thanks,
|  Manuel Carro --- Facultad de Informática -- U. Politécnica de Madrid (UPM)  |
|       Campus de Montegancedo --- E-28660 Boadilla del Monte --- Spain        |
|                Phone: +34-913363747 --- FAX: +34-913363669                   |

* Re: Virtual group by date
@ 2010-08-28 21:50 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-08-28 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Manuel Carro <mcarro@fi.upm.es> writes:

> Hi.  I would like to be able to define a virtual group which puts
> together articles from all groups up to a given date - say, those which
> are at most one week old.

Hm...  that sounds like a rather difficult thing to do, since Gnus
doesn't really have an interface with its backends that would allow it
to get that information quickly.  It kinda sounds like a search-based
group thingie, in a way, where you specify some criteria and then you
get a group based on that on the fly, more or less.

Which sounds difficult.  :-)

* Re: Virtual group by date
@ 2010-08-29  6:30 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2010-08-29  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Manuel Carro writes:
> I would like to be able to define a virtual group which puts
> together articles from all groups up to a given date - say, those which
> are at most one week old.

You could use an external indexing tool. If you're using IMAP, take a
look at nnir. If you have local storage, nnmairix might fit the bill.

-David

* Re: Virtual group by date
@ 2010-08-29 22:11   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-08-29 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> It kinda sounds like a search-based group thingie, in a way, where you
> specify some criteria and then you get a group based on that on the
> fly, more or less.
>
> Which sounds difficult.  :-)

Oo.  nnmairix.  Never mind.