* NNTP servers for Gnus?
@ 2005-10-04 18:15 Ted Zlatanov
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2005-10-04 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

My employer (Harvard) decided that NNTP was not really necessary, so
I lost my newsgroup access some time ago

I used the free server at individual.net but that's closed now.

I tried the paid NNTP with newsfeeds.com, but the performance and
article population were terrible, not to mention they stick an ad in
every article you post.

Can anyone recommend a suitable, cheap/free, and reasonable NNTP
server (no binaries, but full comp hierarchy would be nice)?

Alternatively, can Gnus use Google News other than MID fetching?

Thanks
Ted

* Re: NNTP servers for Gnus?
@ 2005-10-04 19:03 ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2005-10-04 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> My employer (Harvard) decided that NNTP was not really necessary, so
> I lost my newsgroup access some time ago

> I used the free server at individual.net but that's closed now.

> I tried the paid NNTP with newsfeeds.com, but the performance and
> article population were terrible, not to mention they stick an ad in
> every article you post.

Why not pay for individual.net access?  It's very good.

* Re: NNTP servers for Gnus?
@ 2005-10-04 20:22 ` jason haslup
From: jason haslup @ 2005-10-04 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Can anyone recommend a suitable, cheap/free, and reasonable NNTP
> server (no binaries, but full comp hierarchy would be nice)?

I use www.teranews.com which has a $4 one-time charge.  I haven't had
any problems with them so far and I think I've been using them for
almost a year now.

jason

* Re: NNTP servers for Gnus?
@ 2005-10-04 20:54   ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2005-10-04 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 12:03:22 -0700 Russ Allbery wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> I used the free server at individual.net but that's closed now.
>
> Why not pay for individual.net access?  It's very good.

I think it's not that easy from outside Germany.  Maybe

http://dotsrc.org/usenet/

is an alternative.

David

* Re: NNTP servers for Gnus?
@ 2005-10-04 21:27     ` Björn Lindström
From: Björn Lindström @ 2005-10-04 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 12:03:22 -0700 Russ Allbery wrote:
>
>> Why not pay for individual.net access?  It's very good.
>
> I think it's not that easy from outside Germany.

I have no problem using and paying for news.individual.net from abroad.

* Re: NNTP servers for Gnus?
@ 2005-10-04 21:30     ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2005-10-04 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:
> On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 12:03:22 -0700 Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>>> I used the free server at individual.net but that's closed now.

>> Why not pay for individual.net access?  It's very good.

> I think it's not that easy from outside Germany.  Maybe

> http://dotsrc.org/usenet/

> is an alternative.

Really?  Why would it be hard outside Germany?  I know dozens of people
who happily use and pay for their services, nearly all of whom are in the
US.

* Re: NNTP servers for Gnus?
@ 2005-10-04 21:47       ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2005-10-04 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 23:27:03 +0200 Björn Lindström wrote:

> David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 12:03:22 -0700 Russ Allbery wrote:
>>
>>> Why not pay for individual.net access?  It's very good.
>>
>> I think it's not that easy from outside Germany.
>
> I have no problem using and paying for news.individual.net from abroad.

Hmm, i thought using that weird company "firstgate" is the only
possibility to pay them.  But looks like i was wrong.  Normal
bank transfer is accepted too.

David

* Re: NNTP servers for Gnus?
@ 2005-10-13 17:42   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2005-10-13 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  4 Oct 2005, rra@stanford.edu wrote:

> Why not pay for individual.net access?  It's very good.

Access from the USA is slow :)

Ted

* Re: NNTP servers for Gnus?
@ 2005-10-14  7:14 ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2005-10-14  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Ted,

> Can anyone recommend a suitable, cheap/free, and reasonable NNTP
> server (no binaries, but full comp hierarchy would be nice)?

Check out the lists at
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/Public_News_Servers/

e.g.
http://www.disenter.com/index.php?sort=groups&order=DESC