* Server closed connection
@ 2005-08-19 17:00 J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2005-08-19 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I get quite a few of these, mostly, it seems, on the second message of a
downloaded thread.

I googled, but found no definitive fix, or anything that even seemed very
current.  I think the last time it was mentioned was gnus 5.3...

I'm using the CVS version of emacs, 22.0.50.3, and gnus 5.11, running under
Mandriva LE 2005 linux.

Does anyone else have this happening to them?

Dave in Largo, FL

* Server closed connection
@ 2009-04-02  9:49 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2009-04-02  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Platform: Vista Professional
	  GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6001) of 2008-09-06 on SOFT-MJASON
	  No Gnus v0.11 (update from November 17 2008)

When I try to open gmane groups with many unread articles, Gnus gives
up, with the message
	Server closed connection
in the minibuffer.

If I keep retrying, Gnus may eventually load the group.
Out of curiosity: Is there some kind of caching of the .NOV info going
on?  Ie. that it doesn't have to try to get all article summaries, but
only the ones it didn't get before it closed the connection?

And is there some kind of "retry setting"?  Ie. if the server closes the
connection unilaterally, can Gnus do the same thing I do, which is to
reopen the connection (at least a certain number of times)?

Of course a reopening strategy will work best if it only tries to get
the article summaries it lacks.