From: prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc)
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Woe is me and maildirs
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 15:56:40 -0500	[thread overview]

jam@jamux.com (John A. Martin) wrote:
> In Group mode g (get) gives the following backtrace.
>
> ,----[ backtrace on Group mode g (get) ]
> | Signaling: (wrong-type-argument number-char-or-marker-p nil)
> |   nnmaildir--grp-add-art([cl-struct-nnmaildir--srv ""
> |   byte-code("..." [cl-struct-nnmaildir--grp-tags

You can get a more informative backtrace by:
M-x load-library RET nnmaildir.el RET
Then trigger the error again.

> For example, sometimes when closing the nnmaildir server, doing a
> copy, deleting the 'num' directory, opening the server,

I'm not sure I completely understand what you did, but deleting the
num directory isn't a good idea if you don't know how it works.

If you delete both the num and nov directories (while Gnus is not
running, or while the maildir is not visible to any running Gnus) and
then start Gnus or make the maildir visible, then those directories
will be automatically reconstructed (this may take a while), you will
still have your marks, and the group's articles will be renumbered
starting from 1, with no holes.  But this means articles may have
different numbers than before, which could confuse the cache and
agent, if you use them.

I'm not saying you *should* do any of that yet, though.  Let's start
with the more informative backtrace by loading the source library.

paul