* nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent usage is unclear
@ 2001-01-01 15:27 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2001-01-01 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do I use nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent (in nnmail.el)?  I did

(setq nnmail-split-fancy '(|
                      (: nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent)
                      (skipped...)
))

but it doesn't seem to be placing articles in the same group as their
parents.  It seems to look at the cache - does that mean that there
are some groups that are not being cached?  Or am I just being obtuse?

I also have gnus-use-cache set to 'passive, if that makes a
difference.

Thanks
--
Teodor Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com>
"Brevis oratio penetrat colos, longa potatio evacuat ciphos." -Rabelais

* Re: nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent usage is unclear
@ 2001-01-03 12:05 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-01-03 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 01 Jan 2001, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> How do I use nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent (in nnmail.el)?

The node `Fancy Mail Splitting' in the Gnus info file has the
following text in the current version.  Does that give enough info?

/----
|    `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent' is a function which allows you to
| split followups into the same groups their parents are in.  Sometimes
| you can't make splitting rules for all your mail.  For example, your
| boss might send you personal mail regarding different projects you are
| working on, and as you can't tell your boss to put a distinguishing
| string into the subject line, you have to resort to manually moving the
| messages into the right group.  With this function, you only have to do
| it once per thread.
|
|    To use this feature, you have to set `nnmail-treat-duplicates' to a
| non-nil value.  And then you can include
| `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent' using the colon feature, like so:
|      (setq nnmail-split-fancy
|            '(| (: nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent)
|                ;; other splits go here
|              ))
|
|    This feature works as follows: when `nnmail-treat-duplicates' is
| non-nil, Gnus records the message id of every message it sees in the
| file specified by the variable `nnmail-message-id-cache-file', together
| with the group it is in (the group is omitted for non-mail messages).
| When mail splitting is invoked, the function
| `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent' then looks at the References (and
| In-Reply-To) header of each message to split and searches the file
| specified by `nnmail-message-id-cache-file' for the message ids.  When
| it has found a parent, it returns the corresponding group name.  It is
| recommended that you set `nnmail-message-id-cache-length' to a somewhat
| higher number than the default so that the message ids are still in the
| cache.  (A value of 5000 appears to create a file some 300 kBytes in
| size.)  When `nnmail-cache-accepted-message-ids' is non-nil, Gnus also
| records the message ids of moved articles, so that the followup
| messages goes into the new group.
\----

If this doesn't give the info, the manual should be fixed.  (Also,
the function itself should be documented, I guess.  Hm.)

kai
--
~/.signature

* Re: nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent usage is unclear
@ 2001-01-03 14:29   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2001-01-03 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> On 01 Jan 2001, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>
> > How do I use nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent (in nnmail.el)?
>
> The node `Fancy Mail Splitting' in the Gnus info file has the
> following text in the current version.  Does that give enough info?

Definitely.  I was consulting an older version of the manual - my
mistake.  Thanks!

--
Teodor Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com>
"Brevis oratio penetrat colos, longa potatio evacuat ciphos." -Rabelais

* nnimap-split-fancy-with-parent?
@ 2001-01-04 17:29   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2001-01-04 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

What would be necessary to make this work with nnimap?  I've tried the
following to no avail:

(defun dsg-nnimap-split-fancy-with-parent (prefix)
  (let ((group (nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent)))
    (cond (group
	   (concat prefix group))
	  (t nil))))

(setq nnimap-split-fancy
      '(& (| (: dsg-nnimap-split-fancy-with-parent "INBOX.")
	     ;;; other splits...)))

The problem appears to be that my .nnmail-cache file is not being
populated when splitting nnimap groups.  I've started to look at
nnmail.el and nnimap.el to see if it's simply a matter of copying some
code from nnmail into nnimap but before I start I wonder if it's
already there and I'm just missing something.

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg
dsg@world.std.com

* Re: nnimap-split-fancy-with-parent?
@ 2001-01-04 18:30     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-01-04 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04 Jan 2001, David S. Goldberg wrote:

> The problem appears to be that my .nnmail-cache file is not being
> populated when splitting nnimap groups.

Yes.  nnimap is not based on nnmail, so a lot of the nnmail code isn't
used.  This is some of that.  Hm.  Of course, the optimum solution
would be to do the right splitting on the server side, but lacking
that, it might work to also use .nnmail-cache from nnimap.  (Or maybe
use a similar file .nnimap-cache.)

kai
--
~/.signature