* "Unplugged" but not offline
@ 1998-12-14 13:55 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-12-14 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Any one else noticing that v0.65  goes on line even when
"unplugged"?

Here is what I am seeing.

Start gnus with ppp link up.  Press `J u' or `J s' to get some or all
groups into the agent cache.  Press `J j' and enter a group
(emacs.ding)
Gnus goes right on line to get the headers again.  Even though the
Unplugged sign is showing in the mode line.

I confirmed this was happening by watching the data transfer with
'pppstats'`

If I shut down the PPP
link and try entering while "unplugged" I get the message:
>>> writing to process: network is unreachable, nntpd<1>

After restarting ppp connection:

If I shut down gnus and adjust .emacs to start v0.64 and repeat the
same process. All works as it should:

Start gnus "online" (v0.64)
Press `J u' to download emacs.ding (predicate "true")
Press J j  - enter "emacs.ding"
Gnus enters emacs.ding
(unplugged) and immediately shows a summary buffer.  (No data transfer
occurs)

I've seen no posts about this, so suspect it is something local.
However the fact that all works normally under v0.64 does seem
to indicate something has gotten out of whack between versions.  The
change-log for v0.65 indicates only minor changes to a couple *.el
files.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

--
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Running Redhat Linux 5.1

* Re: "Unplugged" but not offline
@ 1998-12-14 23:31 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-12-14 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > Any one else noticing that v0.65  goes on line even when
  > "unplugged"?

I don't.  I'm running 0.65 unplugged right now, and Gnus didn't even
want to connect when I started it.

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: "Unplugged" but not offline
@ 1998-12-15  0:55   ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1998-12-15  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

>   > Any one else noticing that v0.65  goes on line even when
>   > "unplugged"?
>
> I don't.  I'm running 0.65 unplugged right now, and Gnus didn't even
> want to connect when I started it.

  I've noticed in my setup that it tries to connect to the nntp and imap
servers even when I do M-x gnus-unplugged.

-bp

* Re: "Unplugged" but not offline
@ 1998-12-15  4:42 ` Jeremy D. Zawodny
From: Jeremy D. Zawodny @ 1998-12-15  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Any one else noticing that v0.65  goes on line even when
> "unplugged"?

[snip]

> Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

I noticed in 0.64. I was thinking that it was something that I had
screwed up, but now I'm beginning to think otherwise.

At any rate, I suppose I should try the latest and greatest Lars has
to offer and see what happens.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny                Web Geek, Perl Hacker, etc.
http://www.wcnet.org/~jzawodn/   jzawodn@wcnet.org

LOAD "LINUX",8,1