* movemail problem
@ 1998-11-11 16:32 Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 1998-11-11 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-8, Size: 1270 bytes --]

I'm trying to get mail from multiple sources.

Q4.14 of the FAQ tells me how to do it, but then it says it won't work
with pop3.el.

So I disable pop3.el and try it, and get this traceback.

Signaling: (error "Usage: movemail [-p] inbox destfile")
  signal(error ("Usage: movemail [-p] inbox destfile"))
  error("%s" "Usage: movemail [-p] inbox destfile")
  nnmail-move-inbox("po:jmt")
  nnmail-get-new-mail(nnml nnml-save-nov "~/Mail/" nil)
  nnml-request-scan(nil "")
  gnus-request-scan(nil (nnml ""))
  gnus-read-active-file(nil nil)
  gnus-setup-news(nil nil nil)
  byte-code("\b„ÿ0	„ÿ0Æ ˆ‚OÿC7È!É\n!\x13\f„\x1eÿDƒ!ÿCA ˆÿ19ƒ.ÿCB ÌÍÎ\"ÏÐÿ1A\b#ÇÑ!Ò Óÿ1A!Ô ÕÖ!× ÇØ!Ї" [dont-connect did-connect gnus-startup-file gnus-current-startup-file gnus-slave gnus-use-dribble-file gnus-group-quit gnus-run-hooks gnus-startup-hook gnus-make-newsrc-file gnus-dribble-read-file bbb-login add-hook gnus-summary-mode-hook gnus-grouplens-mode gnus-setup-news nil gnus-setup-news-hook gnus-start-draft-setup gnus-group-list-groups gnus-group-first-unread-group gnus-configure-windows group gnus-group-set-mode-line gnus-started-hook gnus-use-grouplens level] 4)
  gnus-1(nil nil nil)
  gnus()
  command-line-1(("-f" "gnus"))
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

Ugh.  Help. :-)

Jack.
.

* Re: movemail problem
@ 1998-11-11 16:57     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-11-11 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@nycap.rr.com> writes:
> That's a great idea.  Can you tell me how to do that? :-)

C-x C-f nnmail.el RET
Move down to "defun nnmail-move-inbox".
M-x edebug-defun RET
Bury the nnmail.el buffer, but do not destroy it.
Try to get your mail.
You'll get a buffer with a text arrow pointing to the line of code
about to be executed.  Hit SPC repeatedly to watch where it goes, and
observe the minibuf to see the results of each expression's evaluation.

You can `c' when edebug'ing, to stop tracing through the function and
just let it continue, or `q' to abort.

To undo the edebug-edness of the function, reload nnmail.elc, or
re-execute its entire defun.

* Re: movemail problem
@ 1998-11-11 16:44   ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 1998-11-11 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl> Offhand, it looks like you've got a movemail that was compiled
Karl> without POP support.  But you'll do better to use edebug-defun
Karl> on nnmail-move-inbox and watch the exact movemail command line
Karl> that's being generated.

       [not found] <m3btme42hk.fsf@dt01q0n13.nycap.rr.com>
@ 1998-11-11 16:36 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-11-11 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Offhand, it looks like you've got a movemail that was compiled without
POP support.  But you'll do better to use edebug-defun on
nnmail-move-inbox and watch the exact movemail command line that's
being generated.