* Gnus agent observations
@ 1998-01-13 13:18 Gisle Aas
From: Gisle Aas @ 1998-01-13 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been using Gnus unplugged for some weeks now, and it works
fairly well for me.  I have made the following observations/questions:

  1) I sometimes go plugged, fetch mail&news headers with 'g' and then go
     unplugged without downloading news ('J' 's').  If I then visit an
     nntp group the articles disappear (probably because they do not
     exists within the ~/News/agent area).   It would be better if
     they were just marked as undownloaded (@).

  2) I don't know if Gnus will expire articles found under ~/News/agent
     Does it?

  3) Can I make Gnus queue News messages, but just send mail even if
     unplugged (and let sendmail do the queuing).

  4) I think that the Gcc: header should be processed when messages
     leave the queue ('J' 'S') and not when they enter it.  As it is
     now I get the wrong version of the article in my nnfolder+archive:outbox
     if I edit the messages in the queue.

  5) Is the category called 'default' used for all
     groups that does not belong to any category or is the 'short'
     predicate always the default.  If the former, then perhaps
     the number in the category list should show something else
     than 0 and adding groups to 'default' disallowed.

Regards,
Gisle

* Re: Gnus agent observations
@ 1998-01-15  9:48 ` Francois Felix Ingrand
From: Francois Felix Ingrand @ 1998-01-15  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gisle Aas <gisle@aas.no> writes:

> I have been using Gnus unplugged for some weeks now, and it works
> fairly well for me.  I have made the following observations/questions:
>
>   1) I sometimes go plugged, fetch mail&news headers with 'g' and then go
>      unplugged without downloading news ('J' 's').  If I then visit an
>      nntp group the articles disappear (probably because they do not
>      exists within the ~/News/agent area).   It would be better if
>      they were just marked as undownloaded (@).
>
>   2) I don't know if Gnus will expire articles found under ~/News/agent
>      Does it?

As far as I can tell, it does not yet. You have to call
gnus-agent-expire... but Lars says it is bugged (it does not use the proper
date I believe). In any case, you have to use it if you do not want to fill up
your disk space...
"Did you realize that 2001: Space Odyssey is 30 years old..."
Professional: http://www.laas.fr/~felix         mailto:felix@laas.fr
Personal: http://worldserver.oleane.com/felix   mailto:felix@dial.oleane.com

* Re: Gnus agent observations
@ 1998-02-08 15:00 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-08 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gisle Aas <gisle@aas.no> writes:

>   1) I sometimes go plugged, fetch mail&news headers with 'g' and then go
>      unplugged without downloading news ('J' 's').  If I then visit an
>      nntp group the articles disappear (probably because they do not
>      exists within the ~/News/agent area).   It would be better if
>      they were just marked as undownloaded (@).

Gnus can't do that, since it doesn't have the headers for the group.

>   3) Can I make Gnus queue News messages, but just send mail even if
>      unplugged (and let sendmail do the queuing).

Uhm...  nope.  Well, yes, but it would take some fiddling.

>   5) Is the category called 'default' used for all
>      groups that does not belong to any category or is the 'short'
>      predicate always the default.  If the former, then perhaps
>      the number in the category list should show something else
>      than 0 and adding groups to 'default' disallowed.

It is the former.  Displaying a "real" number for that category is a
bit tricky, since that would mean having to iterate over all the
groups to see how many there are, and then subtracting all the groups
belonging to the other categories.