* Define-keys overriden
@ 2011-07-21  0:20 Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-07-21  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

First, I apologize in advance for the poor quality of this report, I
can't seem to reproduce this bug reliably.

Sometimes (sorry I can't be more precise, I can't find a pattern), when
I M-x gnus again (ie there was a previous instance that was killed off),
the define-keys I have in my .gnus are ignored. I'm talking about stuff
like

(define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "j") 'gnus-group-toggle-unsubscribed)

(where gnus-group-toggle-unsubscribed is some function of mine). In this
example, "j" gets bound to the default binding for "j" (jump to group)
instead of gnus-group-toggle-unsubscribed. It just happened to me, so I
tried bisecting my .gnus, ie killing gnus, moving the (define-key)
around in the config file, and M-x gnus again. I traced the bug back to
an advice I have to prevent gnus from inflooping

(defadvice gnus-group-get-new-news (around gnus-demon-timeout activate)
  "Timeout for Gnus."
  (with-timeout
      (5 (message "Gnus timed out."))
    ad-do-it))

which I got off somewhere in emacswiki, I believe. Placing the
define-key after the defadvice resulted in "j" being defined as
gnus-group-toggle-unsubscribed, placing it before resulted in the
default value (jump to group) being assigned. Then, as fun bugs often
do, it disappeared, preventing me from debugging further.

Any pointers as to why this can happen, or suggestions of things to look
for next time it happens?

* Re: Define-keys overriden
@ 2011-08-21  3:46 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-08-21  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:

> Sometimes (sorry I can't be more precise, I can't find a pattern), when
> I M-x gnus again (ie there was a previous instance that was killed off),
> the define-keys I have in my .gnus are ignored. I'm talking about stuff
> like
>
> (define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "j") 'gnus-group-toggle-unsubscribed)

Is `gnus-group-mode-map' (etc) (properly) defined when you do this?

* Re: Define-keys overriden
@ 2011-08-21  9:45   ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-08-21  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

21/08/11 05:46, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sometimes (sorry I can't be more precise, I can't find a pattern), when
>> I M-x gnus again (ie there was a previous instance that was killed off),
>> the define-keys I have in my .gnus are ignored. I'm talking about stuff
>> like
>>
>> (define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "j") 'gnus-group-toggle-unsubscribed)
>
> Is `gnus-group-mode-map' (etc) (properly) defined when you do this?

I make sure to (require 'gnus-group) at the top of my gnus init
file. Besides, it happens after the first invocation of gnus, so there
isn't any reason why it suddenly would stop being defined, is there?

* Re: Define-keys overriden
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-10 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:

> I make sure to (require 'gnus-group) at the top of my gnus init
> file. Besides, it happens after the first invocation of gnus, so there
> isn't any reason why it suddenly would stop being defined, is there?

Nope.  Sounds like something is overriding your customisations.