* Browsing NNTP servers on ports other than 119?
@ 2007-12-20 14:14 James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2007-12-20 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Can anyone remind me how to specify a server on a port other than 119 to
(gnus-group-browse-foreign-server)?

I could't find anything in the docs, nor anything via google.

Thanks,

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: Browsing NNTP servers on ports other than 119?
@ 2007-12-22  5:08 ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2007-12-22  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

James Cloos <cloos+math_uh-ding@jhcloos.com> writes:

> Can anyone remind me how to specify a server on a port other than 119 to
> (gnus-group-browse-foreign-server)?

Not sure about (gnus-group-browse-foreign-server), but you can set
something like the following in gnus-select-method:

(setq gnus-select-method
          '(nntp "news.gmane.org"
                 (nntp-address "news.gmane.org")
                 (nntp-port-number 10119)))

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

* Re: Browsing NNTP servers on ports other than 119?
@ 2007-12-22 12:44   ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2007-12-22 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Xu; +Cc: ding

William> Not sure about (gnus-group-browse-foreign-server), but you can
William> set something like the following in gnus-select-method:

William> (setq gnus-select-method
William>           '(nntp "news.gmane.org"
William>                  (nntp-address "news.gmane.org")
William>                  (nntp-port-number 10119)))

Thanks.

I added an entry to my secondary servers; that should allow me to browse
the server via the *Server* buffer after I restart.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6