* How to 'E' mark a group of messages?
@ 2003-10-31 17:01 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-10-31 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I have a group of messages that are marked in some way and I want to make
them all 'E' how do I do it?  I did look at the various menu options but none
of them seemed to be correct.

I'd be doing this so that those messages will get deleted (if they are marked
as 'E' they will eventually expire, right?).  Is there some other (better)
way to get those messages deleted?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                    Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center                 Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                 www.principiapartners.com

* Re: How to 'E' mark a group of messages?
@ 2003-11-02 22:09 ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2003-11-02 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> If I have a group of messages that are marked in some way and I want
> to make them all 'E' how do I do it?  I did look at the various menu
> options but none of them seemed to be correct.
>
> I'd be doing this so that those messages will get deleted (if they
> are marked as 'E' they will eventually expire, right?).  Is there
> some other (better) way to get those messages deleted?

Process mark all messages in a group:

  M P A

Delete all process marked messages:

  B del

--
Josh Huber

* Re: How to 'E' mark a group of messages?
@ 2004-01-19 17:52   ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2004-01-19 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber+news@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
>
>> If I have a group of messages that are marked in some way and I want
>> to make them all 'E' how do I do it?  I did look at the various menu
>> options but none of them seemed to be correct.
>>
>> I'd be doing this so that those messages will get deleted (if they
>> are marked as 'E' they will eventually expire, right?).  Is there
>> some other (better) way to get those messages deleted?
>
> Process mark all messages in a group:
>
>   M P A
>
> Delete all process marked messages:
>
>   B del

That's different from marking them with "E".  Here's a function that I
made for marking a region of articles as expired.  There is probably a
better way.

(defun elc-summary-mark-region-as-expired (point mark all)
  "Mark all unread articles between point and mark as expired.
If given a prefix, the behavior is the same.  (Too lazy to look it up.)"
  (interactive "r\nP")
  (save-excursion
    (let (article)
      (goto-char point)
      (beginning-of-line)
      (while (<= (point) mark)
	(let ((article (gnus-summary-article-number)))
	  (gnus-summary-mark-article article gnus-expirable-mark)
	  (next-line 1))))))

--
--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/

* Re: How to 'E' mark a group of messages?
@ 2004-01-20  5:58     ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2004-01-20  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed L Cashin <ecashin@uga.edu> writes:

> That's different from marking them with "E".  Here's a function that
> I made for marking a region of articles as expired.  There is
> probably a better way.

It depends on what you think it better -- I think you can just
process mark all the messages you want to mark, then apply E to all
the process marked articles.  For example:

15 #    (mark 15 messages with the process mark)
M-& E   (mark all process marked articles as expireable)

--
Josh Huber

* Re: How to 'E' mark a group of messages?
@ 2004-01-20 21:36       ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2004-01-20 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber+news@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Ed L Cashin <ecashin@uga.edu> writes:
>
>> That's different from marking them with "E".  Here's a function that
>> I made for marking a region of articles as expired.  There is
>> probably a better way.
>
> It depends on what you think it better -- I think you can just
> process mark all the messages you want to mark, then apply E to all
> the process marked articles.  For example:
>
> 15 #    (mark 15 messages with the process mark)
> M-& E   (mark all process marked articles as expireable)

I think yours is better, especially since I vaguely remember a way to
mark all the articles from mark to point.

--

@ 2004-01-22 21:38         ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2004-01-22 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed L Cashin <ecashin@uga.edu> writes:

> Josh Huber <huber+news@alum.wpi.edu> writes:
>
>> Ed L Cashin <ecashin@uga.edu> writes:
>>
>>> That's different from marking them with "E".  Here's a function that
>>> I made for marking a region of articles as expired.  There is
>>> probably a better way.
>>
>> It depends on what you think it better -- I think you can just
>> process mark all the messages you want to mark, then apply E to all
>> the process marked articles.  For example:
>>
>> 15 #    (mark 15 messages with the process mark)
>> M-& E   (mark all process marked articles as expireable)
>
> I think yours is better, especially since I vaguely remember a way to
> mark all the articles from mark to point.

This is bugging me.  I can't find how to mark all the articles between
mark and point with #.

--

@ 2004-01-22 21:46           ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-01-22 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed L Cashin <ecashin@uga.edu> writes:

> This is bugging me.  I can't find how to mark all the articles between
> mark and point with #.

`M P r' (gnus-uu-mark-region).

* Re: How to 'E' mark a group of messages?
@ 2004-01-23 17:27             ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2004-01-23 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> Ed L Cashin <ecashin@uga.edu> writes:
>
>> This is bugging me.  I can't find how to mark all the articles between
>> mark and point with #.
>
> `M P r' (gnus-uu-mark-region).

Great!  The "uu" threw me off.