* No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-04  6:55 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-01-04  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

There should be a No Gnus logo, I think.  Perhaps the Gnus logo in
one of those "No Whatever" signs.  You know.  White, with a red
border around it, and a red slash across the gnu.

I suck at using the Gimp.  Anybody want to take a go at it?  (Or do
something else.)

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-04 11:18 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2004-01-04 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen (2004-01-04) writes:

> There should be a No Gnus logo, I think.  Perhaps the Gnus logo in
> one of those "No Whatever" signs.  You know.  White, with a red
> border around it, and a red slash across the gnu.
>
> I suck at using the Gimp.  Anybody want to take a go at it?  (Or do
> something else.)

IMHO these "prohibition signs" often look crappy.  I looked throughout
the net for traffic signs and there exist some Japanese signs[1] where
the content to be negated is placed on top of the red dash and has a
small white border.  Maybe this could be possibility to make it look
better.

As an alternative I attached a graphic looking like a warning sign (in
contrast to a prohibition or regulatory sign).  I am not very good in
this stuff either but maybe it can serve as an inspiration.  The major
drawback with this graphic may be the presence of the word "NO" which
you probably don't want to have in a production release as No Gnus is
the name of the development version if I understand it correctly.  I
could not think of a purely symbolic representation of the negation,
except for a mathematical symbol.

Regards,
Ralf

Footnotes:

[1] <URL:http://www.wbs.ne.jp/cmt/kenkei/e-html/yobu-1-h1.htm>

--
 Moo!
     `~~_.

[-- Attachment #2: no_gnus_logo_small.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 4642 bytes --]

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-04 12:28   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2004-01-04 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> As an alternative I attached a graphic looking like a warning sign
> (in contrast to a prohibition or regulatory sign).

Your example is a US warning sign, right?

A European warning sign would be a red triangle with a Gnu inside it,
ie. similar to the møøse warning signs that the German Hymer-tourists
are so fond of nicking here in Norway.

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-04 12:58     ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2004-01-04 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Steinar Bang (2004-01-04) writes:

>> As an alternative I attached a graphic looking like a warning sign
>> (in contrast to a prohibition or regulatory sign).
>
> Your example is a US warning sign, right?

I used an American sign as a model.  But according to [1] these signs
are internationally standardised.  AFAICS they are not used in Europe
though.

> A European warning sign would be a red triangle with a Gnu inside it,
> ie. similar to the møøse warning signs that the German Hymer-tourists
> are so fond of nicking here in Norway.

They really do?  In that case I'd like to apologise for my people.

The more I think of these signs the more I dislike the idea of using
such a sign as a No Gnus logo.  Maybe the logo should be dropped
completely (or a white gnu on a white background be used).  Then
indeed you have no gnu(s). (c;

Regards,
Ralf

Footnotes:

[1] <URL:http://homepages.cwi.nl/~dik/english/traffic/signs/index.html>

--
 Moo!
     `~~_.

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-04 14:10 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-01-04 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There should be a No Gnus logo, I think.  Perhaps the Gnus logo in
> one of those "No Whatever" signs.  You know.  White, with a red
> border around it, and a red slash across the gnu.

Here is one, obvious example for the logo:

What do you think of it?  Another could be a cat, which is not a
Gnus.  (And Lars is cat people without a cat, so it is appropriate in
a way.)

Kai

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-04 16:49   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-01-04 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Quoting Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de>:
> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> There should be a No Gnus logo, I think.  Perhaps the Gnus logo in
>> one of those "No Whatever" signs.  You know.  White, with a red
>> border around it, and a red slash across the gnu.
>
> Here is one, obvious example for the logo:
>
> What do you think of it?  Another could be a cat, which is not a
> Gnus.  (And Lars is cat people without a cat, so it is appropriate in
> a way.)

Huh, where it is ? :)

zeDek
--
Xavier Maillard
7 rue Jeanne Jugan, 51100 Reims, France

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-04 20:37   ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2004-01-04 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> There should be a No Gnus logo, I think.  Perhaps the Gnus logo in
>> one of those "No Whatever" signs.  You know.  White, with a red
>> border around it, and a red slash across the gnu.
>
> Here is one, obvious example for the logo:
>
> What do you think of it?  Another could be a cat, which is not a
> Gnus.  (And Lars is cat people without a cat, so it is appropriate in
> a way.)

Since no stands for Norway, it should be a lusekofta.

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-05 10:41     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2004-01-05 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Enberg <henrik.enberg@home.se> writes:

> Since no stands for Norway,

... the logo could be build on the Norwegian flag.  Remove the blue
(being such a sad color) and it would make a pretty good logo.

* Re: No Gnus logo
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-01-05 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> ... the logo could be build on the Norwegian flag.  Remove the blue
> (being such a sad color) and it would make a pretty good logo.

Removing the white as well as the blue would make it even better.

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-05 11:13         ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2004-01-05 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Removing the white as well as the blue would make it even better.

Khrushchev is quoted for saying at a visit to Denmark: "I love your
flag, just get rid of the ugly white cross".

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-05 11:25           ` G.Ananth Somayaji
From: G.Ananth Somayaji @ 2004-01-05 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

How about this ? It ain't finished yet. I am hoping somebody more
talented can take it up from here

[-- Attachment #2: Reiss-Head125x122.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 4879 bytes --]

@ 2004-01-05 12:14         ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2004-01-05 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Removing the white as well as the blue would make it even better.

But Gnus has already been there...

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-05 12:19       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2004-01-05 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ... the logo could be build on the Norwegian flag.  Remove the blue
> (being such a sad color) and it would make a pretty good logo.

I saw a blue Subaru Impreza R/C model, in a toy store just before
Christmas, with the names Solberg and Mills on the rear windows.

They had dropped the blue cross in the flag next to "Solberg",
which should make you happy.

They did have a red dragon instead of a Union Jack for Mills, though.

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-05 20:25     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2004-01-05 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Since no stands for Norway, it should be a lusekofta.

The "a" at the end of "lusekofta" is a feminine trailing article in
Norwegian.  Without the article it's "lusekufte".

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-06  0:52     ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2004-01-06  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> A European warning sign would be a red triangle with a Gnu inside it,
> ie. similar to the møøse warning signs that the German Hymer-tourists
> are so fond of nicking here in Norway.

Are we talking about prohibition or warning signs, the prohibition stuff
with the red ring around white circle? (except in Sweden, they never get
the colours right but nevermind, they know how to stuff three digits on
their speed limit signs :-P)

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-06  1:37 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2004-01-06  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> There should be a No Gnus logo, I think.  Perhaps the Gnus logo
Lars> in one of those "No Whatever" signs.  You know.  White, with a
Lars> red border around it, and a red slash across the gnu.

Lars> I suck at using the Gimp.  Anybody want to take a go at it?  (Or do
Lars> something else.)

I feel obligated, since I did the last round.  So, you do want it to
be relative to "no" as in negative as opposed to being relative to
"no" as in the country then...

Heh...  maybe I can accomplish both ;-)

Give me a day or so...

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-06  3:38   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2004-01-06  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> There should be a No Gnus logo, I think.  Perhaps the Gnus logo
Lars> in one of those "No Whatever" signs.  You know.  White, with a
Lars> red border around it, and a red slash across the gnu.

Lars> I suck at using the Gimp.  Anybody want to take a go at it?  (Or do
Lars> something else.)

Wes> I feel obligated, since I did the last round.  So, you do want it
Wes> to be relative to "no" as in negative as opposed to being
Wes> relative to "no" as in the country then...

And the quick 2 second hack combines picons and the old logo...

[-- Attachment #2: gnus-no.xpm --]
[-- Type: image/x-xpixmap, Size: 75235 bytes --]

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-06  4:45             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-01-06  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"G.Ananth Somayaji" <gs_ananth@yahoo.com> writes:

> How about this ? It ain't finished yet. I am hoping somebody more
> talented can take it up from here

Hehe.

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-06  4:48   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-01-06  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> I feel obligated, since I did the last round.  So, you do want it to
> be relative to "no" as in negative as opposed to being relative to
> "no" as in the country then...

"No" as in negative.  :-)  Perhaps in a "no smoking" stylee.

* Re: No Gnus logo
@ 2004-01-06  8:29       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2004-01-06  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Are we talking about prohibition or warning signs, the prohibition
> stuff with the red ring around white circle?

Technically it should be a prohibition sign, but the opinion voiced
was that warning signs look better.

> (except in Sweden, they never get the colours right but nevermind,
> they know how to stuff three digits on their speed limit signs :-P)

Actually Norway got its first three digit speed limit signs the year
before last.

Quite shocking really.

Fortunately there aren't too many of them.