Simon Josefsson writes: > kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes: > >> Simon Josefsson writes: >> >>> It also makes it possible to express "use the same face for this, that >>> and this" and then later be able to change the face only once to >>> change it in all places. >> >> But that's possible with regular faces already? Just use the same >> symbol (face name) in all those places? > > You mean changing gnus source? I meant for users. I think it's harder to understand for users. It's confusing to have two customization options with the same name (and very similar purpose). >>> And it simplifies font-lock stuff, compare >>> gnus-server-font-lock-keywords. >> >> I looked at it. It looks simple. But I can't see how variables made >> it simpler. > > font-lock-keywords uses face names, not faces. Compare > info://Elisp/Faces%20for%20Font%20Lock I don't see your point. This just means that you need to quote the name of the face -- I thinks that's a lot simpler than an extra layer of indirection. E.g.