* C-u a in Group and scoring on own
@ 2002-09-17  8:38 Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2002-09-17  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use the "score on replies to my posts",
(add-hook 'message-sent-hook (function (lambda nil
					 (gnus-score-followup-article 300))))
(add-hook 'message-sent-hook (function (lambda nil
					 (gnus-score-followup-thread 300))))
as suggested in the manual.

I've have seen for several (?) years that sometimes the article is not
added to the SCORE file.

I did some quick debugging and some tests and found out that doing "a"
in the group (a local news test group) added the Message-ID to the
"references" part of the score file, but doing C-u a in the Group
buffer *did not*.

Both functions, gnus-group-post-news and gnus-summary-post-news calls
(gnus-post-news 'post gnus-newsgroup-name)!

I just looked in gnus-score-followup-thread and found

  (when (gnus-buffer-live-p gnus-summary-buffer)
    ... rest of code

Is this the only way or is it some way of adding score even when one
haven't gone into the group? The when statement is used mostly to
easily find the score file. Maybe gnus-summary-score-entry can be
extended to take a group name too? Or a "wrapper" function? (I know
too little of the internals of Gnus to write one on my own.)

gnus-score-followup-thread is very simple and the behaviour I describe
would be "simple" to fix if gnus-summary-score-entry (or another
function that calls gnus-summary-score-entry on the correct score
file) could take a group name too.

It is most annoying since I seldom post to some groups and just looks
for the plus on the left hand side to see if someone has replied to my
post - I recently missed replies to my posts in gnus.emacs.gnus due to
this.

/Jonas, hunting down the big issues.
--
(          www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/         !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* Re: C-u a in Group and scoring on own
@ 2002-12-29 16:54 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-29 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> I use the "score on replies to my posts",
> (add-hook 'message-sent-hook (function (lambda nil
> 					 (gnus-score-followup-article 300))))
> (add-hook 'message-sent-hook (function (lambda nil
> 					 (gnus-score-followup-thread 300))))
> as suggested in the manual.
>
> I've have seen for several (?) years that sometimes the article is not
> added to the SCORE file.
>
> I did some quick debugging and some tests and found out that doing "a"
> in the group (a local news test group) added the Message-ID to the
> "references" part of the score file, but doing C-u a in the Group
> buffer *did not*.
>
> Both functions, gnus-group-post-news and gnus-summary-post-news calls
> (gnus-post-news 'post gnus-newsgroup-name)!
>
> I just looked in gnus-score-followup-thread and found
>
>   (when (gnus-buffer-live-p gnus-summary-buffer)
>     ... rest of code
>
> Is this the only way or is it some way of adding score even when one
> haven't gone into the group? The when statement is used mostly to
> easily find the score file. Maybe gnus-summary-score-entry can be
> extended to take a group name too? Or a "wrapper" function? (I know
> too little of the internals of Gnus to write one on my own.)

Hm...  This should be fixed, but I've looked over the code to
`gnus-summary-score-entry', and it really wants to be in a summary
buffer when it does its work.  However, I think calling that function
is the wrong thing to do.  We really just want to add a score rule --
we don't want to rescore the summary buffer, and stuff like that.

Let's see...  we really want to add the scoring rule to the current
group's score file, right?  Hm.  But actually computing what file
this is is somewhat complicated.  And then it would have to be
specially loaded, and then a new function to insert it into this
alist would have to be written, or refactored out of some of the
other score functions...

Uhm.  Can't you just post from the summary buffer?  :-)