From: prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc)
Subject: Re: Possible nnmaildir bug
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 16:57:53 -0500	[thread overview]

Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> The general problem is that gnus doesn't seem to be putting the
> warning `Gnus-Warning: [...] Duplicate' on messages with identical
> message ids.
> I wondered if the process in nnmaildir that converts incoming messages
> from New to Cur may be missing this functionality.

Yep.  Mail that comes in via mail-sources will get this treatment from
nnmail, but nnmaildir doesn't do it when moving mail from .../new/ to
.../cur/.  I don't want nnmaildir to ever automatically modify
articles by default, but of course it should also be not too hard to
turn on this particular modification.  So I'm thinking the best way
would be to add a group parameter which is a form to be evaluated for
each message moved from new to cur; then I'd also provide a function
to plug in there that would take care of the duplicate checking.

Then again, another way to go would be:
- Enhance nnmail-split-{methods,fancy} so that a rule can check which
  mail source a message came from.  This would be useful for other
  reasons anyway.
- Modify nnmaildir to do nnmail splitting before its own new->cur
  moving, instead of after.
- Use mail sources like:
  (maildir :path "/path/to/maildir/" :subdirs ("new")), and use
  splitting rules that move messages from those sources to the
  corresponding groups (the same maildirs), thus invoking the nnmail
  duplicate checking.

Or maybe both.

paul