From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: Request for opinions as to feasibility of a Gnus application.
Date: 11 Nov 1999 05:20:00 +0100	[thread overview]

> I think I don't grok what you're trying to do, as you can see from the
> following stupid question: why don't you put a URL in the article and
> then use W3 to download the URL?

Or, if it has to be asynchronous, define a viewer.

Like:  Have the nntp server just return normal
<URL:http://that.server.thing/image.jpg> things in the description
articles.  When the user hits `RET' on that link, have
`browse-url-browser-function' set to your own function that would call
an external, say, Perl script that would download the image to the
local disk and then call xv on it, or whatever.

Or just let the browse-url function just call Netscape, and then let
it do the rest.  That would also work asynchronously.