* Proposal: eval-ing arbitrary forms via posting-styles.
@ 1999-07-14 21:38 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-07-14 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm wondering what you folks think of the following idea for an
enhancement to the gnus-posting-styles functionality:

I'd like to be able to eval arbitrary, style-specific forms when
gnus-posting-styles are being processed, without causing any headers
to be set.  For example, the syntax might look something like this:

  (setq gnus-posting-styles
    '(("^alt\.hippos\.magnificent\.creatures"
       (name "Hubert H. Hippo")
       (address "hippo@potamus.org")
       ;; this would eval all the forms but not set any headers
       (forms (setq hippo-var t)
              (hippo-func 1 2 3 "potamus")))))

... or some such thing.

What are your opinions?

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Proposal: eval-ing arbitrary forms via posting-styles.
@ 1999-07-26 23:18 ` Tony Lam
From: Tony Lam @ 1999-07-26 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* "Lloyd" == Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

Lloyd> I'm wondering what you folks think of the following idea for an
Lloyd> enhancement to the gnus-posting-styles functionality:

Lloyd> I'd like to be able to eval arbitrary, style-specific forms when
Lloyd> gnus-posting-styles are being processed, without causing any headers
Lloyd> to be set.  For example, the syntax might look something like this:

I wonder why it is not already done this way. Group parameters already
allow evaluation of arbitrary forms in summary and article buffer,
posting style should allow the same thing in message buffer. I know it
can be done in message-setup-hook but it is kind of ugly.

Tony

* Re: Proposal: eval-ing arbitrary forms via posting-styles.
@ 1999-08-27 18:47 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-08-27 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> I'd like to be able to eval arbitrary, style-specific forms when
> gnus-posting-styles are being processed, without causing any headers
> to be set.  For example, the syntax might look something like this:

I've now added an `eval' element.