* Re: Pop weirdness in p0.77 <Lost Mail>
@ 1999-02-26  0:21 Shane Holder
From: Shane Holder @ 1999-02-26  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I noticed in my nnfolder:/Mail/misc file that I've got articles with
duplicate article numbers like.

Is that supposed to happen?

Shane

* Re: Pop weirdness in p0.77 <Lost Mail>
@ 1999-02-26 14:41 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-26 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shane Holder <holder@rsn.hp.com> writes:

> I noticed in my nnfolder:/Mail/misc file that I've got articles with
> duplicate article numbers like.

Are the numbers the same?  That is, are these lines just repeated?

* Re: Pop weirdness in p0.77 <Lost Mail>
@ 1999-02-26 16:09   ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-02-26 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > Shane Holder <holder@rsn.hp.com> writes:

  > Are the numbers the same?  That is, are these lines just repeated?

I think Shane is saying the right number is 83 not 8383...

kai
--
I like _\bb_\bo_\bt_\bh kinds of music.

* Re: Pop weirdness in p0.77 <Lost Mail>
@ 1999-02-26 16:41   ` Shane Holder
From: Shane Holder @ 1999-02-26 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Lars> Shane Holder <holder@rsn.hp.com> writes:
  >> I noticed in my nnfolder:/Mail/misc file that I've got articles with
  >> duplicate article numbers like.

  Lars> Are the numbers the same?  That is, are these lines just
  Lars> repeated?

No, I've got 3 articles with that article number in the message
header.

Shane

* Re: Pop weirdness in p0.77 <Lost Mail>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-26 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shane Holder <holder@rsn.hp.com> writes:

> No, I've got 3 articles with that article number in the message
> header.

That's definitely not good.  It is probably related to these other
mail lossage thingies people are reporting.  I haven't been able to
reproduce any of it myself -- things are being written as they should
here.  I would guess that it's the finishing-up bits that aren't run.

Could y'all who are seeing this breakage try to debug it?

* Re: Pop weirdness in p0.77 <Lost Mail>
@ 1999-02-26 19:46       ` Shane Holder
From: Shane Holder @ 1999-02-26 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Lars> Shane Holder <holder@rsn.hp.com> writes:
  >> No, I've got 3 articles with that article number in the message
  >> header.

  Lars> That's definitely not good.  It is probably related to these
  Lars> other mail lossage thingies people are reporting.  I haven't
  Lars> been able to reproduce any of it myself -- things are being
  Lars> written as they should here.  I would guess that it's the
  Lars> finishing-up bits that aren't run.

  Lars> Could y'all who are seeing this breakage try to debug it?

I haven't lost any mail since applying the patch that was posted to
this thread.  So, I think my predicament of having multiple articles
of the same number is due to that bug.  I would like some advice as to
how I can remedy the situation.  Is there an easy way to re-number the
articles or do I need to do some hand editing?  You know, now that I
think about it, this might be real serious under nnml because the
article numbers would be the name of the files and some files would
have been overwritten wouldn't they?

Shane

* Re: Pop weirdness in p0.77 <Lost Mail>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-26 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shane Holder <holder@rsn.hp.com> writes:

> I haven't lost any mail since applying the patch that was posted to
> this thread.  So, I think my predicament of having multiple articles
> of the same number is due to that bug.  I would like some advice as to
> how I can remedy the situation.  Is there an easy way to re-number the
> articles or do I need to do some hand editing?

`M-x nnfolder-generate-active-file' might do that, but I don't quite
remember.  Try it and let us know.  :-)

> You know, now that I think about it, this might be real serious
> under nnml because the article numbers would be the name of the
> files and some files would have been overwritten wouldn't they?

No; nnml is physically unable to do stuff like that.  (FSVO
"physically".)