* expiry/time-since problem
@ 1998-12-10 17:09 George J McNinch
From: George J McNinch @ 1998-12-10 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: George McNinch, John Palmieri

I posted a related question a few days ago to gnu.emacs.gnus thinking
that I was just being dumb and had some incorrect settings, but have
investigated a bit more and think I've found the problem.

I'm using pgnus-0.64. I'm getting incorrect behaviour
expiring/expunging mail. Playing with edebug, it turns out that in

nnmail-expired-article-p

the crucial test seems to occur here:

(condition-case ()
 (time-less-p days (time-since time))
(error nil))

Where time seems to be a string like:

Watching the results, it seems that time-since is returning tuples the
first coordinate of which are occasionally _large_ negative integers
(Well, ok large in absolute value) for dates that are a few days or
weeks old.

Here are some sample calculations!

(setq foo "From George.J.McNinch.1@nd.edu   Fri Nov 20 09:44:23 1998")
(setq bar "From George   Fri Nov 20 09:44:23 1998")
(setq ack "From George.1  Fri Nov 20 09:44:23 1998")

(time-since foo)
=> (-10543 13110)

(time-since bar)
=> (26 31953)

(time-since ack)
=> (-10543 13349)

This seems to clearly be the culprit for my expiration troubles.

Presumably the problem is in (?) date-to-time, or parse-time-string,
or some parsing function in parse-time.el.

I'll look at them a bit, but I'm sure someone else will have a better
idea of how to fix 'em.

Best,
George McNinch

* Re: expiry/time-since problem
@ 1998-12-10 18:51 ` George J McNinch
From: George J McNinch @ 1998-12-10 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: John Palmieri

or maybe...

    George> I posted a related question a few days ago to
    George> I'm using pgnus-0.64. I'm getting incorrect behaviour
    George> expiring/expunging mail. Playing with edebug, it turns out
    George> that in

    George> nnmail-expired-article-p

    George> the crucial test seems to occur here:

    George> (condition-case () (time-less-p days (time-since time))
    George> (error nil))

    George> Where time seems to be a string like:

*that* last bit is the problem. Maybe nnfolder-expire-articles
erroneously cuts out the time string; it seems likely that the
"From" information doesn't belong in a time string...

Did I say I am using nnfolder?

Best,
George

* Re: expiry/time-since problem
@ 1998-12-13  8:43   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-13  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

George J McNinch <McNinch.1@nd.edu> writes:

> *that* last bit is the problem. Maybe nnfolder-expire-articles
> erroneously cuts out the time string; it seems likely that the
> "From" information doesn't belong in a time string...

I think I've located and fixed this bug.  Could you check after
Pterodactyl Gnus v0.66 has been released to see whether things start
working?