From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Changes in Group/customize
Date: 02 Apr 1998 16:18:26 -0800	[thread overview]

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> > Using the Group Customize to arrange what comes up in an 'a'
> > initiated message,
>
> You haven't mentioned any of the actual parameters that you modified.
> I will assume that you mean 'to-address'.

Well, a little further along I do say 'the first two item in customize'
which should leave little to doubt.

> > 'r' initiated message is not working for all replys in my recently
> > established 'ding' mail group.
>
> 'r' should always address mail to the author of the post, not to a
> mailing list.  It should be unaffected by 'to-address'.

Oh well, could have swore this used to just bring up the group address.

> > Doing a reply 'R' turns up the posters address instead of the groups
> > address, even though I have set the first two items in customize to the
> > address of the group.
>
> This is as it should be.

> > Only way I can get the group address into the posting is with 'F' and I
> > only like to use 'wide-reply' very selectively.
>
> Why don't you?  Is there a reason?

Well, in my delerium I was under the impression that 'F'sent a message
to both group and author.  I thought a wide reply meant it went to both.
And I see the term wide reply in the messages buffer when I use 'F'.
I feel that in most cases one message is enough and two could be down
right annoying.

> If you set the 'to-address' parameter to the mailing list's address,
> 'f' or 'F' will address your followup to the list only, and not to the
> author unless you add it explicitly or with 'C-c C-t'.

I thought that only applied to newsgroups, not nnml or other mail
groups.  I thought I recalled seeing this very subject (C-c C-t)
discussed in gnu.emacs.gnus with you as one of the participants
This reply was done with 'F', so lets see if it comes to you and the
group both.

> > I have set the 'broken reply-to both ways with no change in behavior
> > after a restart.
>
> I think that you expect 'broken-reply-to' to behave in the opposite
> manner that it does.  Or at least a very different way than it does.

Whoa hoss, give a little slack here.  I thought it does just as you
describe but in case I was reading it wrong I tried it both ways, to see
if it would make a difference.  Us illiterate types have to use
hillbilly techniques when they don't understand fully.

> Some mailing lists are set up so that all mail sent through them ends
> up with a Reply-To header pointing to the list.  This is broken
> behavior.  Setting 'broken-reply-to' will instruct Gnus to ignore the
> Reply-To header so that replies go to the author of the message
> instead of the list.

I actually prefer the above method but I see your point that "reply-to'
should in fact be able to do what its name says.

> > I don't believe this was always the way it worked so either I have
> > mucked up something recently or have been sending alot of wide replies
> > unknowingly.  Of course there is a the third possibility that I have
> > been too dead headed to notice it was always like that.

> I think that you are just very confused. (choice #3)
Ok, So 'R' has never been able to bring up the mail group address eh?
Know any good neuro-surgeons that can correct unexpectedly early onset
senility?

> Justin Sheehy
>
> In a cloud bones of steel.
Justin ^^ what does this mean?  Sounds like it might be describing the
John Hancock building in Chicago on a foggy day.

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com