* Article caching question
@ 1998-01-07  5:59 Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1998-01-07  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I've been reading the Gnus manual and I'm not quite sure about how
article caching works.

If I turn on article caching and gnus-asynchronous but not
gnus-jog-cache will gnus store *all* the articles that are pre-fetched
in the cache until they are read?

--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: Article caching question
@ 1998-01-07 11:10 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-01-07 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Eze> If I turn on article caching and gnus-asynchronous but not
  Eze> gnus-jog-cache will gnus store *all* the articles that are
  Eze> pre-fetched in the cache until they are read?

I don't know about gnus-asynchronous, but AFAIK, the cache works like
this:

If you turn on gnus-use-cache then articles marked with one of
gnus-cache-enter-articles marks are automatically entered into the
cache, and articles marked with one of gnus-cache-remove-articles are
removed from it.  The defaults are sensible: hitting "!" or "?" on a
news article enters it into the cache, and marking it as read removes
it again.  I use this to remember important articles: I just type "!"
and they'll stay in the group until hell freezes over or I remove them
again -- no matter what the expire time on the news server is.

You seem to want to do offline news reading.  For this, Quassia has
the "agent" feature.  See the manual for details (I've never used it).

kai
--
Kai Grossjohann, Informatik VI        grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Uni Dortmund, D-44221 Dortmund        http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/

* Re: Article caching question
@ 1998-01-07 12:04   ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1998-01-07 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>   Eze> If I turn on article caching and gnus-asynchronous but not
>   Eze> gnus-jog-cache will gnus store *all* the articles that are
>   Eze> pre-fetched in the cache until they are read?

> You seem to want to do offline news reading.  For this, Quassia has
> the "agent" feature.  See the manual for details (I've never used it).

Thanks for the reply Kai,

I've only just started to experiment with Gnus unplugged today. What I
really want to do is to speed things up for normal news reading.

I want to have gnus pre-fetch articles in the group I happen to be
reading and hold them on the local hard disk so that I can read them
without having to wait for Gnus to fetch each article.

I also want to be able to move back and forth in the buffer without
having to wait for an article I've already read (or one that was
previously fetched but is unread) to be fetched again.

I don't know if you've ever used the program Knews but right now I use
that for News reading and Gnus for Mail because Knews does things like
storing information about the groups on the local hard disk between
sessions, including thread information. It also has a trail-ahead-cache
and a cache of previously read articles. This makes it very fast over
a modem.

I've been using various combinations of gnus-asynchronous
gnus-keep-backlog and gnus-use-cache to try to duplicate this
behavior.

However I've found that Gnus will still fetch a previously fetched
article when that article is uuencoded.

i.e. In a buffer with 100 articles if I read (and uudecode (X u)) articles
9-20 then go back and uudecode and save (X U) article 10 Gnus still
fetches article 10 again.
--
Eze Ogwuma