* plain old draft saving
@ 2011-03-15  0:52 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-03-15  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    message-dont-send is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
    `message.el'.

    (message-dont-send)

    Don't send the message you have been editing.
    Instead, just auto-save the buffer and then bury it.

OK, but mention there what it you just want to save it but not bury it.
Would a old fashioned
  C-x C-s runs the command save-buffer
be OK, or does one need a fancy gnus-* command.

* Re: plain old draft saving
@ 2011-03-15  9:21 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-15  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:52:02 +0800 jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

j>     message-dont-send is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
j>     `message.el'.

j>     (message-dont-send)

j>     Don't send the message you have been editing.
j>     Instead, just auto-save the buffer and then bury it.

j> OK, but mention there what it you just want to save it but not bury it.
j> Would a old fashioned
j>   C-x C-s runs the command save-buffer
j> be OK, or does one need a fancy gnus-* command.

An unsent message does not need to be saved explicitly.

Ted

* Re: plain old draft saving
@ 2011-03-15 13:52   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-03-15 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:52:02 +0800 jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>
> j>     message-dont-send is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> j>     `message.el'.
>
> j>     (message-dont-send)
>
> j>     Don't send the message you have been editing.
> j>     Instead, just auto-save the buffer and then bury it.
>
> j> OK, but mention there what it you just want to save it but not bury it.
> j> Would a old fashioned
> j>   C-x C-s runs the command save-buffer
> j> be OK, or does one need a fancy gnus-* command.
>
> An unsent message does not need to be saved explicitly.
>
> Ted

Things can confuse in Gnus. What does "unsent" mean? Generally it means
it "was not sent" ie posted to the destination. I started using the
gnus-agent-queue in order to review all mails before sending using
JS. The ones in the queue are, too, "unsent" IMO : you can edit them and
save them and they are transferred back to the drafts which makes
perfect sense.

Regarding message-dont-send thats the equivalent of

C-x C-s followed by  C-x 0

ie "save in drafts and hide".

So in answer to the OP:

Yes, C-x C-s is the same as "save it but dont bury it".

* Re: plain old draft saving
@ 2011-03-15 14:50     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-15 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:52:56 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> wrote:

RR> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:52:02 +0800 jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

j> message-dont-send is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
j> `message.el'.

j> (message-dont-send)

j> Don't send the message you have been editing.
j> Instead, just auto-save the buffer and then bury it.

j> OK, but mention there what it you just want to save it but not bury it.
j> Would a old fashioned
j> C-x C-s runs the command save-buffer
j> be OK, or does one need a fancy gnus-* command.

>> An unsent message does not need to be saved explicitly.

RR> Things can confuse in Gnus. What does "unsent" mean? Generally it means
RR> it "was not sent" ie posted to the destination.

It means that `message-send' hasn't been called successfully in the
message buffer.

RR> I started using the gnus-agent-queue in order to review all mails
RR> before sending using JS. The ones in the queue are, too, "unsent"
RR> IMO : you can edit them and save them and they are transferred back
RR> to the drafts which makes perfect sense.

Remember now, message.el is a standalone package in Emacs and needs to
be considered in isolation from the rest of Gnus.  So the Gnus Agent may
intercept the `message-send' process but that doesn't mean the
terminology is wrong as far as message.el is concerned.

RR> Regarding message-dont-send thats the equivalent of
RR> C-x C-s followed by  C-x 0
RR> ie "save in drafts and hide".
RR> So in answer to the OP:
RR> Yes, C-x C-s is the same as "save it but dont bury it".

Typically for Dan's bug reports/complaints, it's not clear what he
wants.  You guessed he wants an answer.  I guessed he wants the
documentation clarified.

Also his comment of "what [if] you just want to save it" is directly
answered by my comment.  You don't "just" want to save a message.  You
either save it as a draft with `C-c C-d' or you send it with `C-c C-c'.
Mentioning `C-x C-s' would IMO just confuse the user and serve no
practical purpose because the unsent message is already autosaved as a
draft.

Ted

* Re: plain old draft saving
@ 2011-03-15 15:24 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> OK, but mention there what it you just want to save it but not bury it.
> Would a old fashioned
>   C-x C-s runs the command save-buffer
> be OK, or does one need a fancy gnus-* command.

You can just save the buffer.  I don't really think that needs to be
mentioned in an unrelated command documentation string.

* Re: plain old draft saving
@ 2011-03-15 20:25       ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-03-15 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

OK I will now do C-x C-s in confidence.
>>> An unsent message does not need to be saved explicitly.
Does too if you don't want some unknown state on the disks in the case
there's a nuclear power outage, etc.
TZ> he wants the documentation clarified.
Yes please do fix them.
TZ> Also his comment of "what [if] you just want to save it" is directly
TZ> answered by my comment.  You don't "just" want to save a message.  You
TZ> either save it as a draft with `C-c C-d' or you send it with `C-c C-c'.
TZ> Mentioning `C-x C-s' would IMO just confuse the user and serve no
TZ> practical purpose because the unsent message is already autosaved as a
TZ> draft.
But not at every moment.
Back in high school we learned "use ^S to save your file often" back in
MSDOS or something.
Can you believe that gnus lacks documentation on how to do that (without
side effects).
I mean I want to go to the washroom. I would like to save my work first,
without leaving it up to the component that makes the #files#.

* Re: plain old draft saving
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> Can you believe that gnus lacks documentation on how to do that (without
> side effects).

It's just an Emacs buffer.  Save it the same way you would any other
Emacs buffer.

* Re: plain old draft saving
@ 2011-03-15 20:53         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-15 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 04:25:13 +0800 jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

j> OK I will now do C-x C-s in confidence.

> [...]
j> Does too if you don't want some unknown state on the disks in the case
j> there's a nuclear power outage, etc.

...and if you get attacked by a BEAR during the NUCLEAR power outage,
you will LOSE your message!  Oh no!

TZ> he wants the documentation clarified.
j> Yes please do fix them.

Sorry, I don't think it needs to be fixed.  If you disagree, at least
make the effort to write a proposed replacement.

TZ> Also his comment of "what [if] you just want to save it" is directly
TZ> answered by my comment.  You don't "just" want to save a message.  You
TZ> either save it as a draft with `C-c C-d' or you send it with `C-c C-c'.
TZ> Mentioning `C-x C-s' would IMO just confuse the user and serve no
TZ> practical purpose because the unsent message is already autosaved as a
TZ> draft.

j> But not at every moment.

True.  That would be silly.

j> Back in high school we learned "use ^S to save your file often" back
j> in MSDOS or something.  Can you believe that gnus lacks documentation
j> on how to do that (without side effects).  I mean I want to go to the
j> washroom. I would like to save my work first, without leaving it up
j> to the component that makes the #files#.

I still don't think Gnus needs to document trivia.

Ted