* Unread mails marked as old
@ 2010-09-10 17:28 Manuel Carro
From: Manuel Carro @ 2010-09-10 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Since I have seen some mails regarding IMAP access and changes in it, I
would like to ask for opinions on a problem I have been experiencing
intermitently.  I already mentioned it in a previous message, but
apparently there was no idea as to what could be happening.

I have a setup in which I *download* mail from several servers (IMAP and
POP servers in my case) to my laptop, split in groups, and then I
accessed locally.  I have some 270 groups now.

I have a virtual group which puts together all mail from all the other
groups - therefore what I see there are unread and ticked mails.  But
sometimes (and, I would say, in connection with reading that virtual
groups, but in a very non-deterministic way) unread articles are marked
as read, ticked articles are unticked, and old read articles are
unmarked and appear as new.  I have not found a patter why this happens,
but it is a major nuissance because I partly use No Gnus to organize my
work and keep track of things remaining to answer / act upon.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be going on?  Any clue as to
where to start looking for a sympton?  I am running No Gnus v0.11 from
the git repository (updated some 4 days ago or so).

Thanks for any hint!
|  Manuel Carro --- Facultad de Informática -- U. Politécnica de Madrid (UPM)  |
|       Campus de Montegancedo --- E-28660 Boadilla del Monte --- Spain        |
|                Phone: +34-913363747 --- FAX: +34-913363669                   |

* Re: Unread mails marked as old
@ 2010-09-10 23:41 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-10 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Manuel Carro <mcarro@fi.upm.es> writes:

> I have a virtual group which puts together all mail from all the other
> groups - therefore what I see there are unread and ticked mails.  But
> sometimes (and, I would say, in connection with reading that virtual
> groups, but in a very non-deterministic way) unread articles are marked
> as read, ticked articles are unticked, and old read articles are
> unmarked and appear as new.  I have not found a patter why this happens,
> but it is a major nuissance because I partly use No Gnus to organize my
> work and keep track of things remaining to answer / act upon.

Hm.  So there's something wonky about how nnvirtual gets it data
together?  I use nnvirtual myself, and I can't recall seeing that.

If you could find a pattern as to when it happens, that would help a
lot.

* Re: Unread mails marked as old
@ 2010-09-11 23:49   ` Manuel Carro
From: Manuel Carro @ 2010-09-11 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hm.  So there's something wonky about how nnvirtual gets it data
> together?  I use nnvirtual myself, and I can't recall seeing that.

It would be more than that (if I understand what goes under the hood):
that nnvirtual somehow garbles article marks.  Note that all articles I
read have already been downloaded to my laptop.

> If you could find a pattern as to when it happens, that would help a
> lot.

Sure.  I will stop nnevirtual to see if I can reproduce the probem.