* fetchmail+procmail+gnus, mailsource or secondary-select-methods?
@ 2004-05-28  2:37 Ding Lei
From: Ding Lei @ 2004-05-28  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi ...
    I am currently using the fetchmail & procmail combo. The manual saids
that you need to specify an mail backend for the "mail-source" which gnus
fetches mails from, which in my case fetchmail & procmail done that already.
    So which variable shall I set to tell Gnus read those mails from the
specified maildir: /data/emails/company, /data/emails/gnus-list, /data/emacs-list ...
    Whether secondary-select-methods or mail-source?
	Please reply with corresponding lisp expression to write in .gnus.el ..
    Thanks!

--
Yours,

   <<<:::::   D i n g    L e i   ::::::>>
 ||                                      ||
 || Ext: 8106                            ||
 || Email: <dinglei [A] ipanel [O] cn>   ||
 || Dept. Of Technology/Engineering      ||
 || Embedded Information Services Inc.   ||
 ||                                      ||
<((((((    =====================     )))))>>>

You can't start worrying about what's going to happen.  You get spastic
enough worrying about what's happening now.
		-- Lauren Bacall

* Re: fetchmail+procmail+gnus, mailsource or
@ 2004-05-28  5:08 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-05-28  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ding Lei <dinglei@ipanel.cn> writes:

>     I am currently using the fetchmail & procmail combo. The manual saids
> that you need to specify an mail backend for the "mail-source" which gnus
> fetches mails from, which in my case fetchmail & procmail done that already.
>     So which variable shall I set to tell Gnus read those mails from the
> specified maildir: /data/emails/company, /data/emails/gnus-list, /data/emacs-list ...

There are different possibilities.  You could let Gnus read/write the
maildir written by procmail directly.  In this case, nnmaildir is your
friend.  nnmaildir is a backend, and it is documented in the Gnus
manual.

Another possibility is that you let procmail write into some
directories, but that you want Gnus to store the mail in another
directory.  In this case, you need a mail-sources entry.

For both alternatives, you need Gnus 5.10.

Does this help?

Kai

* Re: fetchmail+procmail+gnus, mailsource or
@ 2004-05-28  5:46   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2004-05-28  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> wrote:
> You could let Gnus read/write the maildir written by procmail
> directly.  In this case, nnmaildir is your friend.

For that case:
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnmaildir "" (directory "/data/emails")))

> Another possibility is that you let procmail write into some
> directories, but that you want Gnus to store the mail in another
> directory.  In this case, you need a mail-sources entry.

Such as:
(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(maildir :path "/data/emails/company"))
(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(maildir :path "/data/emails/gnus-list"))

paul