* How to set news message id?
@ 1999-11-25 13:25 Gerald Preissler
From: Gerald Preissler @ 1999-11-25 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

I just set up a local newsserver and can't get pgnus to generate the
message-id's I'd like to have. As per the FAQ on
<http://www.ccs.neu.edu/software/contrib/gnus> ,I set mail-host-address:

(setq message-from-style 'angles
	user-mail-address "Gerald.Preissler@gmx.de"
        mail-host-address "home.ivm.de"
        message-syntax-checks '((sender . disabled))

but it still sets the message id to something like

Looking in the info files, I find nothing on mail-host-address, so I
guess something has changed.
How can I fix this?

cheerio
        Jerry

* Re: How to set news message id?
@ 1999-11-27 19:04 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-27 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

The right hand side of the message id comes from the variable
system-name.  What is it?  The variable is automatically initialized
when Emacs starts, based on the contents of the /etc/hosts file (among
other things).  So just put your FQDN in there (maybe as an alias) and
you'll be fine.

kai
--
because I couldn't think of a good beginning.

* Re: How to set news message id?
@ 1999-11-27 19:57 ` Robin S. Socha
From: Robin S. Socha @ 1999-11-27 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Gerald Preissler <Gerald.Preissler@gmx.de> writes:
> Hi folks, I just set up a local newsserver and can't get pgnus to
> generate the message-id's I'd like to have.

Check these:

;;*================================
;; Setting the system name
(defun system-name  () "Setting the system name" "socha.net")
;;*================================
;; Your own Message-ID. The unique part can be found in the middle. If
;; your machine doesn't have a FQDN, it is preferable to let the server
;; generate it
(defun message-make-message-id ()
  "Make a unique Message-ID."
  (concat "<deathsquad." (message-unique-id)
"@socha.net>"))

--
Robin S. Socha  <http://socha.net/Gnus/>

* Re: How to set news message id?
@ 1999-11-27 20:49   ` Håvard Kvålen
From: Håvard Kvålen @ 1999-11-27 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The right hand side of the message id comes from the variable
> system-name.  What is it?  The variable is automatically initialized
> when Emacs starts, based on the contents of the /etc/hosts file (among
> other things).  So just put your FQDN in there (maybe as an alias) and
> you'll be fine.

You can do a (setq system-name "host.domain.net") in .emacs too.

--
Håvard Kvålen ** http://home.sol.no/~havardk/

* Re: How to set news message id?
@ 1999-11-28 14:45     ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-11-28 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \

* Re: How to set news message id?
@ 1999-11-28 16:13       ` Robin S. Socha
From: Robin S. Socha @ 1999-11-28 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:
> havardk@sol.no (Håvard Kvålen)  on Sat, 27 Nov 1999
>> You can do a (setq system-name "host.domain.net") in .emacs too.
>
> This is generally not a good idea.  Doing this manually is a dead
> giveaway that your system is not properly configured ("so shoot me").

If we all lived in a perfect world without things like German T*l*k*m,
you were probably right. However, you cannot configure a dial-up system
"properly" if your provider doesn't give you a static IP address.
Therefore, radioactive.socha.net "does not exist". I /could/ use Jonas
Luster MsgID patch for INN and tweak sendmail - but then again, why
bother?
--

@ 1999-11-28 21:09         ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-11-28 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core,
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ which, if exposed due to rupture, should

* Re: How to set news message id?
@ 1999-11-29 14:08           ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-11-29 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not sure if this is what's considered "proper" but from my home
system, I simply don't have gnus set the message-id and use
smtpmail.el to connect to my ISP's MTA and let that set the
message-id.  If there's a better way, I'd be happy to implement it.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: How to set news message id?
@ 1999-11-30  0:47             ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-11-30  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)