* w3-strict-width again
@ 1998-11-17 22:57 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-11-17 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

One of the fixes Lars made for p0.43 was...

	* mm-view.el (mm-inline-text): Bind w3-strict-width.

...which is supposed to correct the problem where (window-width) is
less than (frame-width) and text/html parts are erroneously rendered
at (frame-width).

Unfortunately, I think we have a binding-time error.  The very first
time that I view a text/html part, it is still rendered as though it
expected that *Article* to be as wide as Emacs.  But if I immediately
`g' the same article again, it is re-rendered with an appropriate
width.  All subsequent text/html portions seem fine, too, of course.

I suspect that w3-strict-width is bound by Gnus, which then autoloads
W3-related *.elc, which has the effect of altering w3-strict-width
according to the natural expectations of W3.  Once the package is
loaded, then subsequent bindings of w3-strict-width by Gnus work fine.

Can this sort of thing be worked around, or is it just something we
have to live with?

Screenshots available in http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~karl/pgnus/html-too-wide.

* Re: w3-strict-width again
@ 1998-11-18  1:13 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-18  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:

> I suspect that w3-strict-width is bound by Gnus, which then autoloads
> W3-related *.elc, which has the effect of altering w3-strict-width
> according to the natural expectations of W3.  Once the package is
> loaded, then subsequent bindings of w3-strict-width by Gnus work fine.

Hm.  Well, I've now `require'd w3-vars first, but I'm not sure this is
the cause of the problem.  It might be a redisplay problem -- that the
article buffer window hasn't been rendered when you view the article
the first time, or something like that...