* A bug(?) in pGnus .42; questions about gnus mime handling
@ 1998-11-12  1:12 Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 1998-11-12  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

Using Gnus 0.42 and posting styles I managed to (somehow) contrive to have
the variable user-mail-address set to nil;  this caused Gnus to fail doing a
string comparison when loading gnus-sum.el

I don't know if this is a real bug or not, hence this post rather than a
direct bug report.  I will happily submit one if that would be useful.

Secondly, I am currently working on a utility to automatically import vCard
records into the BBDB when using Gnus.  I do have one question about this
though - what is the best place to hook my code into Gnus?

I want to be able to read as a string the vCard record from the article,
then pass that on to a nice generic function;  I am currently thinking that
a hook on gnus-article-display-hook would be the best solution.  I would
like to know if there is a better way to do this that I have not seen,
however.

As a side note, I want this to run automatically when there is a vCard
record, not just when I elect to view that entity.

NB. Lars (and other developers) - you guys are doing a great job, thanks.

	Daniel Pittman

* Re: A bug(?) in pGnus .42; questions about gnus mime handling
@ 1998-11-13 19:03 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-13 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Pittman <daniel@danann.net> writes:

> Using Gnus 0.42 and posting styles I managed to (somehow) contrive to have
> the variable user-mail-address set to nil;  this caused Gnus to fail doing a
> string comparison when loading gnus-sum.el

I think I got a patch for this bug, which is applied to 0.43.

> Secondly, I am currently working on a utility to automatically import vCard
> records into the BBDB when using Gnus.  I do have one question about this
> though - what is the best place to hook my code into Gnus?

`gnus-article-display-hook' is the obvious place, but perhaps it would
be nicer to add a variable -- gnus-article-mime-part-function -- that
would be called with each MIME handle, so that people could do stuff
to each MIME part independenly, if they wish.

If that sounds interesting, I could do that.

* Re: A bug(?) in pGnus .42; questions about gnus mime handling
@ 1998-11-16  0:42   ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 1998-11-16  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

    >> Secondly, I am currently working on a utility to automatically import
    >> vCard records into the BBDB when using Gnus.  I do have one question
    >> about this though - what is the best place to hook my code into Gnus?

    Lars> `gnus-article-display-hook' is the obvious place, but perhaps it
    Lars> would be nicer to add a variable --
    Lars> gnus-article-mime-part-function -- that would be called with each
    Lars> MIME handle, so that people could do stuff to each MIME part
    Lars> independenly, if they wish.

    Lars> If that sounds interesting, I could do that.

I am quite happy to do my implementation using the article display hook -
it's where I figured the best place would be.  However, I imagine that there
will be other MIME types that people would want to treat in a similar
manner;  a generic hook would be nice to have.

Oh, and it would have saved me 15 minutes looking for just such a hook ;)

Thanks,
	Daniel

* Re: A bug(?) in pGnus .42; questions about gnus mime handling
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-17 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Pittman <daniel@danann.net> writes:

> I am quite happy to do my implementation using the article display hook -
> it's where I figured the best place would be.  However, I imagine that there
> will be other MIME types that people would want to treat in a similar
> manner;  a generic hook would be nice to have.

I've now added `gnus-article-mime-part-function' as well as an example
of how to use it to 0.49.