From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: Eek
Date: 01 Oct 1998 05:07:42 +0200	[thread overview]

Colin Rafferty <craffert@ms.com> writes:

> > All music should be played from an Emacs interface, I've always said.
>
> I'll bite.

Ouch.

> Where do I get cddb-mode?

Er...  Nowhere?  Well, I have a cddb.el, but that just communicates
with the cddb databases, and allows editing of cddb entries, but, er,
one needs lots of external programs to extract info from the cds, so
it's not really usable for anyone but meee.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to clean up my stuff and distribute it,
but at the present I don't have the stamina.

Here's my system, which is called The Idiot Jukebox:

I'm lazy.  I loathe having to stop doing whatever I'm doing every hour
to go over to the CD player and plop in a new one.  So I bought a 5-cd
player.  And I found I a loathed going to the CD player every five
hours to plonk in five new CDs.

So I thought -- if I mp3 a bunch of CDs, I can have 111 hours of music
on one teensy weensy 6GB disk.

So I did.  I'm very pro-active in my lazyness, and I now have all my
music on mp3 (a farm of PIIs at work certainly helped), and I have
jukebox.el that lets me swap things out onto CD-R (and back again),
and play stuff, and burn stuff, and stuff.  Which is where the
X-Now-Playing line comes from; it's an mp3 being played.  (jukebox.el
also plays audio CDs, but I don't use that part much.)

So the system consists of Emacs, jukebox.el, cddb.el, a DAE, an mp3
encoder, a mp3 decoder, a sampler, a track splitter, a wav player, an
audio CD controller, an audio CD info extractor, and lots of scripts.
Totally unportable, and most of the external programs have been
slightly hacked by moi.

I'm also sampling all my vinyl, but I had to pause that work a bit
while I get a new pickup for my turntable.

What I want now is one of those funky 11-inch green terminal thingies
-- the ones that have an RS232 hanging out the back, so that I can put
one next to the stereo and control the system from that.  That'd be
k00l, dudez.